Thread: Revive Engine Cleaner / Darkside Developments

Users Country Flag

Revive Engine Cleaner / Darkside Developments

2009 Passat CC 2.0TDI

I came across a product from the UK called Revive Engine Cleaner Revive Engine Cleaner and Power Restorer - YouTube

Has anyone used this product or similar ("Mr Muscle"???) on their vehicle with any success?

I also had a look at Darkside Developments - they sell a fairly expensive EGR delete (I used an EGR delete in my other vehicle) and also a DPF bypass which surprised me. Any comments here?

Fit a Provent, EGR delete might be illegal but ofcourse you need to ask Dark side how they achieve it.
    At the end of the day you want not to be polluting the roads you and your family drive in.

A 2009 will likely done more than 130k km. If so you are better off spending the time to open up and clean things. Revive is just going to dislodge stuff into turbo, atleast that was the biggest fear for me.

I also used liquiMoly Diesel injector cleaner.
    Also try Morey's smoke killer for higher cetane level in your diesel.
    Last edited by sn809; 08-11-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post

I also had a look at Darkside Developments - they sell a fairly expensive EGR delete (I used an EGR delete in my other vehicle) and also a DPF bypass which surprised me. Any comments here?
    The rules in the UK are different to AUS. They only started cracking down on DPF removal about 18 months back.

You don't actually say what you are trying to fix with the engine cleaner.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Okay, I have done about 140,00km - 2009 Passat CC 2.0L TDI. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that driving around 30 - 40 km/h in city traffic the car was a slightly jerky! Once I squeezed the accelerator the jerkiness disappeared. This was consistent for a week or so.

So, I bought a bottle of Penrite DPF+ cleaner and added it to a tank of fuel and went for a good freeway "loop run" in Sport mode. No jerkiness now at 30 - 40 km/h.

Just worried about deposits building up! I change oil regularly, but I know that diesels ultimately get blocked-up with deposits that affects performance and eventually causes them to stall. Passat stalled at a stop sign three years ago - was told by the mechanic that it had no air coming in - said he cleaned it out a bit but it would happen again and would need doing again in a few years! [I suspect it was the ASV that blocked-up/hot stuck.]

I'm beginner/intermediate level when it comes to mechanical work on cars, but I haven't really done that much work on the Passat CC (mainly work on old Land Rovers). I wanted to remove and clean-out the EGR and ASV (throttle body) - do things properly. Not sure re intake manifold, and I guess that there isn't much that can be done with the DPF?

Recently installed the DieselGeek P2015 bracket - got rid of a persistent fault. Now want to do a bit more to make sure engine is running well and doesn't clog-up with deposits again. I cahnge the oil regularly (Nulon or Penrite 5W-30 for vehicles with a DPF).

Provent (catch can type device?) - looks like a good option!

Just need a decent guide that can walk me through the process before I start?

Users Country Flag
    You Tube is your mechanical tutor. Lots of how-to guides. I used it when I did my carboned-up inlets
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    Okay, I have done about 140,00km - 2009 Passat CC 2.0L TDI. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that driving around 30 - 40 km/h in city traffic the car was a slightly jerky! Once I squeezed the accelerator the jerkiness disappeared. This was consistent for a week or so.

So, I bought a bottle of Penrite DPF+ cleaner and added it to a tank of fuel and went for a good freeway "loop run" in Sport mode. No jerkiness now at 30 - 40 km/h.

Just worried about deposits building up! I change oil regularly, but I know that diesels ultimately get blocked-up with deposits that affects performance and eventually causes them to stall. Passat stalled at a stop sign three years ago - was told by the mechanic that it had no air coming in - said he cleaned it out a bit but it would happen again and would need doing again in a few years! [I suspect it was the ASV that blocked-up/hot stuck.]

I'm beginner/intermediate level when it comes to mechanical work on cars, but I haven't really done that much work on the Passat CC (mainly work on old Land Rovers). I wanted to remove and clean-out the EGR and ASV (throttle body) - do things properly. Not sure re intake manifold, and I guess that there isn't much that can be done with the DPF?

Recently installed the DieselGeek P2015 bracket - got rid of a persistent fault. Now want to do a bit more to make sure engine is running well and doesn't clog-up with deposits again. I cahnge the oil regularly (Nulon or Penrite 5W-30 for vehicles with a DPF).

Provent (catch can type device?) - looks like a good option!

Just need a decent guide that can walk me through the process before I start?
    Lots of info on here as well.

Decarb

The following is the thread I used for advice. Along with youtube search. Just ensure you have all the parts and tools before hand specially a good torx set.
    EGR should we all be more concerned

If you have worked on Landos then this should be a doozy.

Penrite and Nulon is the best stuff.

Provent via Western filters. They do a kit.

Edit
    Don't forget to change the DSG fluid. It might help with the hesitency.