Thread: Replacing Engine Oil Cooler

Users Country Flag

Replacing Engine Oil Cooler

I was down at the coast and noticed a pool of engine oil underneath the vehicle (2009 VW Passat CC 2.0L TDI) when I went to drive home (car had been left overnight at the place I was staying). Dipstick was very low so called RACV. Otherwise, there were no warning lights and no indications any damage was done (engine started fine) oil sprayed inside the engine bay and had collected in the plastic sump guard. Anyway, the country mechanic towed it to his workshop, put it up on the hoist, and after a little investigation reported that it was highly likely a leaking oil cooler (he was almost 100% sure that was the single cause). Pity I lost most of the oil as I also just did a full service 4 weeks ago!

The country mechanic will get the car towed back to Melbourne next week by the RACV - it's going direct to an independent VW mechanic in Melbourne as the country mechanic says he has a lot of cars to work on and would have to get parts from Melbourne, so it was better I get it fixed in Melbourne - anyway I would have to get a lift back down there (4-hour drive to pick it up!) if he could fix it.

Got back to Melbourne tonight and noticed on the internet that leaking/ruptured oil coolers are a bit of a thing with VWs! Couldn't find many diagrams or info on the net (have only started looking though). I'm assuming there are two hoses connected to the oil cooler - COOLANT IN and COOLANT OUT? Is that right? If the oil is spraying out then the oil cooler is ruptured somewhere on the oil side or the rubber seal is gone/disrupted (no issue on the coolant side). The good thing is there are no signs whatsoever of engine oil in the coolant - checked the coolant overflow/header tank and it's clean as a whistle and spot on the fill mark.

I recall slowly driving over a raised rut on a gravel/dirt road down that way (heard a noise underneath) - do you think that could have impacted/disrupted the oil cooler? Not sure where the oil cooler is located, but maybe at the bottom of the engine somewhere, likely directly underneath the oil filter???

How much to replace/fix the oil cooler? I checked Run Auto Parts online and notice they have a Hella oil cooler (8MO 376 778-021) on their website for $168.50 and $5 for the rubber seal. Anything technical/difficult (special tools?) for a DIYer to replace the oil cooler? I'm assuming it could be as simple as a perished/brittle/hardened/cracked $5 rubber seal? I don't have much money at the moment so just can't afford to be squeezed by the mechanic for unnecessary work! The country mechanic said it could cost around $1200 to fix (includes labour)?!!! Was thinking of maybe buying an OEM oil cooler (Hella? from Run Auto Parts) and rubber seal and giving it to the Melbourne independent VW mechanic to install - worth doing?

Not sure re genuine VW dealer parts prices, but likely very expensive I would think? Have seen another Australian online supplier selling the exact same Hella oil cooler for $440 (cf. $168.50)! Noticed cheap prices ex-UK and also noticed autodoc.co.uk have around a dozen engine oil coolers made by a range of manufacturers (including Hella) to choose from! Couldn't just help also noticing ridiculously cheap engine oil coolers on aliexpress (they do say they're not OEM!).

Unfortunately I won't be able to take the car to my home to attempt work on it this time around, but just don't want to get over-serviced or ripped off by the mechanic (everyone out for an extra buck where possible in these tough Corona-times)!

Any thoughts/suggestions/wisdom to pass on?
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 26-06-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Users Country Flag
    The oil cooler (heat exchanger) is integrated into the oil filter housing assembly. Cheap part but a bit of mucking around to access/replace.

These links should help you:

How to remove the oil filter housing, dipstick, and oil cooler VW Audi TDI 2.0L engine on Jetta, Golf, JSW

VWVortex.com - 2.0 TDI Oil Temp-Elevated?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for that. Will have to hope I can argue a good price for the mechanic to do the work. Any idea on likely cost of mechanic replacing the oil cooler?

Users Country Flag
    Probably a couple of hours labour, oil change and the part. So perhaps $600 or so.

Try Underground Performance in Melb as they do mechanic work as well as ecu tuning on VW’s.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Okay, all done! The mechanic did it for $450 (they kept to their original quote even though they ended up spending almost a day fixing it!). The underbody/engine was steam cleaned and the oil filter housing was removed and the gasket was replaced (source of the leak) - part no. 045115441; the rubber seals either side of the oil cooler were also replaced (part no's. 038117070A and 038117070). Oil was topped-up and I kept the old oil filter as it was only changed 1 month ago.

So, all good! Engine was steam-cleaned - lot of oil came out in a short space of time and sprayed everywhere! Don't know if this is a common thing, but just glad I picked it up quickly and didn't drive off! I think I did extremely well to get it done for $450!!!

Users Country Flag
    Good to hear you got it fixed, cheap price too.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Now I have to get a rear driver's-side lens and some rear panel work - whilst vehicle was parked at the original mechanic shop down on the coast a lady reversed into it as she reversed out of the mechanics!