Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Passat CC (2009) - Can't change dipped beam HID (D1S) globe

Users Country Flag

PM me your email address please.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
    PM me your email address please.
    Vexed, just curious...from the last comment I assume you have access to a CC workshop manual. Is this the case? I would give my left nut for a copy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexed View Post
    I had the same exact problem on my CC, it was bloody hard for me to remove them, but my mechanic did that in 5 minutes.
    Anyway, here is what repair manual says:

Attachment 26162

Attachment 26163

Attachment 26164

I believe you'd get more help if you post this in the CC section of the forums.

Good luck

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Sure, PM me your email and I will share it with you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Still trying to get this bugger out after following the manual - must be some little trick I'm missing? Coming some of the way out but something holding it in (can't manage to get the bottom connector off) - don't want to yank on it!

Has anyone changed this successfully? Should be easy? Checked YouTube - different vehicles: nothing quite the same as 2009 Passat CC. Went on and did other jobs - new front discs and pads, oil and filter change - but now back to this bugger! Tantalisingly close but just can't seem to release it? Don't want to force it for obvious reasons. Wonder if apart from front wire clips and plug at bottom if there is any other restraint? Maybe plug has to be removed first before pulling globe out? Dumbfounded how such a small thing can be so infuriating?! Couldn't even find another vehicle on YouTube with the identical headlight/globe set-up!
    Last edited by DeepBlue; 18-11-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Users Country Flag

Passat CC (2009) - Can't change dipped beam HID (D1S) globe

There is a small wire restraint and needs to be pushed to the side and then lifted out of the way, the globe should then be free.

I'll get a pic for you soon I have some cc lights off the car which will make it easier to see

Users Country Flag

Passat CC (2009) - Can't change dipped beam HID (D1S) globe

This is the passenger side assembly.

Don't have any d1s globes lying around to show you with a globe in there unfortunately. Release the 2 shown sping clips by pushing back on them and either to the left or right to release them.

The globe connector just pulls off, use a small flat head screwdriver and I think from what I remember the globe it self needs to be twisted to release from the housing.

Last edited by rjt86; 26-11-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Fantastic rjt86!!!

This is exactly the set-up I was talking about - couldn't find any YouTube videos or photo posts showing what you have shown here! Most times it's a video showing someone changing halogen globes - straightforward! But with the 2009 Passat CC and the HID Xenon globes (with integral igniter) I've seen nothing exactly like this set-up until now.

Someone said I would probably need to take the grille off, then the bumper off, and then remove the headlight so I could access the D1S globe (igniter is integral with the globe of course and is held in place by the two metal wire clips as shown)!!! Now, I don't like the sound of all that just to change a globe and of course I don't have any Torx tools - my dad does, but he's miles away and on holiday at the moment.

Question is, can I change the globe over in-situ (I thought the VW mechanics were able to do this fairly quickly)? Or, do I have to remove the headlight assembly completely? Because of the limited access (it's on the driver's side) I can release the metal wire clips that hold the back of the igniter but I just can't seem to remove the connector plug from the base of the igniter, it's because of this that I can't fully extract the integrated igniter and globe from the housing! Because the connector plug is on a shortish braided wire connection it stops the igniter/globe from being pulled out; obviously the connector needs to be removed first?

Any thoughts?

If I do have to remove the headlight assembly I would have thought they could be removed fairly easily (haven't found any guide around) rather than having to remove the grille and bumper first!

Cheers.
    Last edited by DeepBlue; 26-11-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Was thinking (due to limited access) that the only way would be to remove the headlight assembly. Is there an easy way of doing this without removing half of the front-end? Did you remove the headlights to change the D1S globes? You would think headlight assemblies could be removed easily and quickly - remove wiring harness connection, maybe a couple of screws and/or a few press tabs?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    Was thinking (due to limited access) that the only way would be to remove the headlight assembly. Is there an easy way of doing this without removing half of the front-end? Did you remove the headlights to change the D1S globes? You would think headlight assemblies could be removed easily and quickly - remove wiring harness connection, maybe a couple of screws and/or a few press tabs?
    I'm 100% sure you don't need to remove anything from the front-end. My mechanic did it while I was watching in a couple of minutes. He just went from the back of the headlight, removed the bulb and placed in the new one in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast