Support VWWC

Thread: Oil Pan - Damaged Threads - Options?

Users Country Flag

Oil Pan - Damaged Threads - Options?

2009 VW Passat CC 2.0L TDI
    CBBB engine

Confirmed reasonable leak of oil from oil sump - looks like damaged aluminium female threads on the 19mm sump plug. Somehow happened after last oil change - I normally use a torque spanner to tighten it to 30Nm, but this time I couldn't find the torque spanner at the time and used a breaker bar instead (to both get the old plug off and put a new one on after the oil change). I assume the oil pan threads stripped either when taking the old plug out or tightening the new plug).

A new oil pan with part number VW 03G 103 603Q is $613.80 from the VW dealer! I understand it is also a problem replacing the oil pan due to the two semi-hidden bolts (at the bell-housing).

Does anyone have experience with repair options or alternative DIY solutions? I've now read a little bit about Time-Sert, Helicoil, and other thread repair options, along with something called a Fomoto Valve and Loctite? I'm happy to seal the sump hole permanently and use a suction pump to do oil changes in future.

Any recommendations?

Users Country Flag
    I would look into a Helicoil or a thread repair service before going down the "new sump" route.

Have you considered dropping the fresh oil into a clean container to check the sump plug and sump hole? You might be lucky and it could just be a damaged thread on the sump plug ($5 part). Although, the sumps are alloy and the sump plugs are steel, so its more likely that the softer alloy has been damaged rather than the sump plug - but you never know.

Oil Pan - Damaged Threads - Options?-thread-doctor-jpg
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-07-2022 at 09:23 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ruled out the sump plug and oil filter completely now - 100%, and pretty sure it's not the sump (seal or a crack anywhere). With engine cover off there is no indication of any oil leak from above - only when looking from underneath the engine.

Oil leak seems to be from the front part of the engine (behind the fan somewhere), half-way-up, some oil getting onto hoses and leaking down onto sump and then migrating to the rear? Decent leak, and suspect it's something that's pressurised - not a seep, a leak! Oil cooler and oil filter housing to engine seals all renewed after a bad leak. Timing belt (new) done four years ago.

Don't think it's the turbo oil feed, because I understand that's at the rear of the engine on the driver's side.

Timing belt cover seal? At a loss to understand where it's coming from unless I strip stuff out at the front.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Users Country Flag

Hey there, if you could send me your rego, I'll see if there's a cheaper sump available through some trade suppliers, I deal with. The number you posted doesnt work with Imparts or HSY but sometimes they dont recognise the latest revision numbers.

Gavin, Now at TTY Euro in Mordialloc