Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How hard is it to retrofit a reversing camera (RVC)?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    While I get that these are 'factory features' they don't actually do anything other than flash up momentarily when you make a change, the rest of the time you gave to look at the knobs/displays dedicated to doing these things anyway. As I said, I wouldn't be fussed to lose those images in the grand scheme of the benefits the new head unit adds. That said, some people want to stick with factory everything, often down to the cassette player... one of the first things I have always upgraded, but each to their own.
    Thank you for clarifying. I didn't realise the knob displayed the temperature as well.
    In which case the RCD330+ sounds ideal. I had another play with Carplay today and I like it.

Can I just clarify, what exactly happens to the MFD when the factory stereo is removed? Does the trip computer (odometer, distance to empty etc) still work?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by minorityracer View Post
    Can I just clarify, what exactly happens to the MFD when the factory stereo is removed? Does the trip computer (odometer, distance to empty etc) still work?
    Ahhh, I see the confusion! All the odometer, distance to empty etc etc will all continue to work as they always have.

The only thing the various different radio/CD/DVD/Nav units display is radio station/track information (if you switch to that screen on the MFD) as well as 'next turn' information if you have the RNS510 and are using Nav. Personally, my MFD is almost permanently set to show speed.

So no integration for the RCD330+ simply means no track info on the MFD.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Just thought I'd post back. I've ordered a RCD330+ 187e from aliexpress. About $420 delivered with GST.

I'm also getting a generic composite reversing camera (mount at numberplate light). Couldn't justify the cost of badge flip camera.

I'll let you know how I go with the stereo.

Does anyone have any tips or guides for installing a reversing camera? How hard is it to run the video line?

Users Country Flag
    Grab a set of trim removal tools and take it slow, you can either go across the roof lining or along the floor and door sills. In the Cabriolet I went door sills (funnily enough), but it's also only a two door

Roof is supposedly easier to tuck into.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Yeah I have some trim removal tools, they are a life saver.
    How do the floor sills lift up? Are they press fit?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12