Thread: Here We Go Again - EPB

Users Country Flag

Here We Go Again - EPB

2009 Passat CC 2.0TDI

Okay, about three years ago I had the flashing amber light in the dash EPB button, along with the Parking Brake dash warning light. The Auto Hold also stopped working and the EPB couldn't be activated by the dash button (you could hear that the motor wasn't activating). Seems a common problem!!! Fault 02433 (Supply Voltage for Right Parking Brake Motor (V283) - sporadic 007 - Short to Ground) from my hand-held scanner.

Anyway, the problem came and went, and then pretty much hung around permanently.

So, bought a new dash-mounted EPB button (Topran brand from Run Auto Parts) and installed. Result - problem gone! Coincidentally had a new battery installed around the same time!

Three years later problem has returned with same 02433 code!

Any ideas/suggestions? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Okay, my VIN is WVWZZZ3CZ9E532783 (2009 Passat CC 2.0TDI 125kW with CBBB engine) - looks like the VW part number for the rear driver's side EPB motor is 3CO998281A, and a new genuine one costs just under $1K from a VW dealer!

I'm assuming there is also a motor on the rear passenger side as well? My fault code (02433) has only ever been for the driver's side motor.

With the part number, I'm assuming it's a 6-Torx motor - believe the 12-Torx came later (after 2009)?

Anyway, might just pull the bugger out and have a look at it, clean it up, reinstall and see what happens?

Otherwise, might just get another EPB dashboard switch (c.$35) and see how that goes?

Having said all that, for the last three days it's been all good again??? Played around with the button and the ignition three days ago and has been fine since??? Just don't understand this? EPB motor too expensive, but could maybe get one from the wreckers - problem is I don't have a high confidence level that will necessarily fix it! Frustrating!

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 15-07-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like it could well be a wiring issue down near the wheel mounted EBP motor. Have you checked the wiring/plug on the EBP motor for any visible damage?

You could (no doubt for much less than $1k) source a 2nd hand rear caliper and EBP motor from a wrecker either within Australia or overseas. Get the part # off the EBP motor/brake caliper and type it into Google.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks Lucas_R - appreciate that! Will definitely try to take off the rear driver's side motor then - had a cursory look and seemed okay, but I think I need to remove it and check the plug etc.

I will check Grant Walker Parts re the price for a second-hand motor and caliper! Will not worry about changing the EPB switch again for now then.

Just out of interest, always seems to be the driver's side motor; is there an identical motor on the rear passenger side (haven't lloked there)???

As noted in previous threads, the Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor (original was faulty - as per fault code/s) was replaced, and of course the coil and check engine warning lights have now disappeared. Mind-bogglingly though, the EPB warning light has now disappeared and now doesn't come on when I turn left. Don't understand? Maybe some weird electrical issue driven by the faulty sensor???

Okay, a week later - travelled down the road this morning, turned left and... "Ding" - the park brake warning light came on! I'll have a good look at the EPB (driver's side) when I put new pads and discs on in 3-4 months time. So yes, too good to be true, and nothing could surely be that weird eh?!

Recently put a new battery in - couldn't believe the battery had been turning the engine over! Coincidentally, EPB warning light gone!