Support VWWC

Thread: Fuel gauge intermittent issue

Fuel gauge intermittent issue

Hi all,

Every now and then, the fuel gauge needle on my 2012 VW cc v6 awd will not work. The needle stays at zero and the associated fuel reading on the digital readout (on dash) goes blank.

When this happens, I've found that turning the ignition on and off again has fixed the issue and the needle goes to its correct position.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Is this a common issue? How can it be diagnosed and/or fixed?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by disco__dave; 03-05-2021 at 09:05 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like your fuel level sending unit is on its way out. They can do some weird things before they die completely - hence the gauge working sometimes but not other times.

Best to get your mechanic to verify this is the issue and order the necessary parts to replace it.

Until that time, keep the fuel topped up so you dont run out of fuel.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Sounds like your fuel level sending unit is on its way out. They can do some weird things before they die completely - hence the gauge working sometimes but not other times.

Best to get your mechanic to verify this is the issue and order the necessary parts to replace it.

Until that time, keep the fuel topped up so you dont run out of fuel.
    Thanks, do you know if this is a difficult part to replace or have an idea on the part cost?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by disco__dave View Post
    Thanks, do you know if this is a difficult part to replace or have an idea on the part cost?
    They are generally part of the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank. Remove rear seat, open access port to fuel tank and remove fuel pump cradle. Replace or fix faulty part and reinstall/test.

Apparently this is the part which includes a whole new fuel pump cradle and assembly: PAT Electronic Fuel Pump Assembly EFP-330 | Sparesbox
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    They are generally part of the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank. Remove rear seat, open access port to fuel tank and remove fuel pump cradle. Replace or fix faulty part and reinstall/test.

Apparently this is the part which includes a whole new fuel pump cradle and assembly: PAT Electronic Fuel Pump Assembly EFP-330 | Sparesbox
    Thanks for your help!
    I hope I can replace the sender on it's own as the whole assembly is expensive!

Cheers