Support VWWC

Thread: Fitting new EPB servo motor - just need to check a few things?

Users Country Flag

Fitting new EPB servo motor - just need to check a few things?

Hi,

Hoping someone can assure me that I'm going about this the right way - don't want to make an expensive mistake!

Vehicle is a 2009 Passat CC 2.0L TDI.

Several months ago I noticed the EPB switch on the dash panel flashing and an amber EPB warning light fault on instrument cluster. I searched a bit and read a number of posts and decided to purchase a new EPB switch - bought a new "TOPRAN ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE BUTTON 114 992" from Run Auto Spares for $25. Was very easy to install and all good again!

Recently though the same thing has happened again (sporadic fault) - appears for no rhyme or reason at random moments when driving (turning off ignition and re-starting sees it disappear only to appear later on again).

Used Foxwell scanner and got this:

"02433 Supply voltage for right parking brake motor (V283) - sporadic 007 - short to ground."

Will have a look at driver's-side rear wheel (assume this is servo motor V283?) and likely replace with a new one; have noticed them for sale on ebay and aliexpress for 50 AUD and less.

Came across this: Volkswagen Golf Service & Repair Manual - Removing and installing parking brake motor -V282-/-V283- - Handbrake

Based on the above it looks easy to replace just the servo motor - remove electrical connector and two bolts? Replace o-ring?

Anything that I need to watch out for? Is there anything I have overlooked?
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 15-02-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Users Country Flag
    If there's an internal short I'd guess that the insulation on the motor windings has gone. I think you're on the right track.

I've noticed that there are two kinds of EPB motors - 6 sided and 12 sided drive.
    Which have you got?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi, been checking on this - because it's 2009, my understanding is it's 12-sided.

It's a pain because it's intermittent, but usually things don't get better of their own accord, so prefer to fix soon.

I have a Foxwell scanner tool - so I assume I use that to open the EPB before I remove the servo motor? Install new servo motor (and o-ring seal?) and then all good?

Seems too easy, worried I might miss something?

Is there a detailed walk-through anywhere on here do you know?

Users Country Flag
    Check the workshop manual here, page 50:

https://cardiagn.com/brake-systems-passat-05-08/
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thanks!!!

Looks easy enough then!

Looks like it's time to purchase an EPB servo motor then. Will see what there is on aliexpress.com or ebay.com - assuming that VW part from a dealer will cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks again.

PS Might do the LHS as well - preventative maintenance!

Users Country Flag
    It's always worth checking with your local spares department.
    Some parts are actually reasonably priced (many aren't) and you don't have to pay any shipping costs.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Will do! Fired off email to VW dealer.

Users Country Flag
    Sometimes it's good to get the price for comedic value...

Yes, comedic value indeed! Dealer (got an email reply today) - AUD 905 + GST ex-Singapore for EPB motor!!!!! Okay, looking at c.AUD 30-60 delivered via ebay, aliexpress, wish, amazon, etc.
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 18-02-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    Yes, comedic value indeed! Dealer (got an email reply today) - AUD 905 + GST ex-Singapore for EPB motor!!!!! Okay, looking at c.AUD 30-60 delivered via ebay, aliexpress, wish, amazon, etc.
    Interestingly on ABC 'The Money' with Richard Aedy, it was discussed that the current business model of many car manufacturers in Australia is to charge approx 20 times cost for spare parts (i.e. 2000% markup). They can get away with this as you are 'captive'.
    Last edited by minorityracer; 24-02-2020 at 07:42 AM.