Thread: Dual Mass Flywheel

Users Country Flag

Dual Mass Flywheel

Well, 2009 Passat CC 2.0TDI with the 6-spd DSG - just noticed noise and a very slight vibration at idle. I understand the DMF is something that always fails around 150,000km.

This job is a little out of my league seeing you ideally need a lift for good access, and anyway, I'm too busy at the moment.

I'm waiting on a quote from an independent VW mechanic, but what's the likely cost range I should be looking at for this job - (labour and parts)?

Is it better to replace the DMF (they are quite pricey I believe) with a single-mass flywheel (cheaper I believe) in it's place; not sure why there is such a thing as a dual-mass flywheel?

Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    DMF will knock at idle, to indicate that it's on the way out.

You won't find an SMF for the DSG, as the clutchpack has no damping springs.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    DMF will knock at idle, to indicate that it's on the way out.

You won't find an SMF for the DSG, as the clutchpack has no damping springs.
    Thanks for that - looks like DMF then! Expecting a quote around $3.5K.

Users Country Flag
    If you're doing DMF might as well do clutches at the same time, and timing chains/guides.
    Then no need to take the gearbox out again.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    Thanks for that - looks like DMF then! Expecting a quote around $3.5K.
    That's way over the odds. I fitted a secondhand one in my TDI Passat. As I bought it really cheap. I wouldn't do that for a customer though for fear of failure/warranty.

Not sure I'd go to the trouble of replacing a clutch pack, 150k seems pretty early to me. My Passat is driving fine on 320k.

Contact me at TTY Euro if you'd like a quote on a new DMF fitted.

Gavin

Yes, clutches done 5 or so years ago and timing belt (sure it's a belt) done 2 years ago by an independent VW mechanic. I'm assuming doing the clutches again shouldn't be necessary (?) - has done about 50,000km since then. I understand that they often do the DMF and clutches at the same time as you say?

Labour quoted is around 12 hrs - not sure how much a new clutch-pack would cost, worth doing again? Maybe I'll ask the mechanic to let me know what state they are in?

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    That's way over the odds. I fitted a secondhand one in my TDI Passat. As I bought it really cheap. I wouldn't do that for a customer though for fear of failure/warranty.

Not sure I'd go to the trouble of replacing a clutch pack, 150k seems pretty early to me. My Passat is driving fine on 320k.

Contact me at TTY Euro if you'd like a quote on a new DMF fitted.

Gavin
    You're a little bit far away Gavin at the moment, but I'll definitely keep you in mind for any future work I can't handle!!! I got another quote for the DMF and have already accepted it:

12 hrs labour + new DMF ($870) + G13 coolant (coolant hose removed to get to DSG) = $2460! Certainly better than the other quote I received earlier!

The original clutch pack went bad around 140,000km (was hard to get reverse gear), I suspect because the transmission fluid level was low (what happened to transmission dipsticks?)! Anyway, all good since then and transmission fluid and filter changed regularly - now at 190,000km.

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah no need to do clutches if they've already been done, was assuming they were original.
    It just makes sense from a labour cost perspective if they are from factory (different if you are doing it yourself obviously).
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Yeah no need to do clutches if they've already been done, was assuming they were original.
    It just makes sense from a labour cost perspective if they are from factory (different if you are doing it yourself obviously).
    Yeah, understand with warranty. Suspect original cluches went because of low DSG fluid level!