Thread: DSG Fluid Change

Users Country Flag

DSG Fluid Change

Not quite the time, but interested to find out potential issues involved with doing a DSG fluid and filter change?

2009 VW Passat CC 2.0L TDI, CBBB engine and a 6-spd DSG (pretty sure that's a wet clutch).

I want to do a fluid and filter change.

Any recommendations re fluid and where to buy?

Any recommendations re filter and where to buy?

I have a Foxwell NT510 and I believe it can accomplish the same job as VCDS when it comes to transmission filling/temperature measurement.

A garage quoted me $320 to replace the fluid and filter and wondering if it's worth me doing it myself?

Users Country Flag
    By the time you buy the tools, hunt down the oil and filter at reasonable prices, and then try to understant 7 different online guides, which are all incorrect as far as the factory method goes, you might as well pay someone else to do it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I just ordered all the consumable from spares box for $115.88

Penrite DCT Fluid Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid 4L
    890139-DCTF004
    $71.96

Ryco Automatic Transmission Filter Kit RTK190
    106211-RTK190
    $23.96

Penrite DCT Fluid Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid 1L
    890139-DCTF001
    $19.96

Subtotal
    $115.88
    Shipping & Handling
    FREE

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I used to buy quite a lot of spares (I have several vehicles) from Sparesbox, but found several cheaper options since then. Was thinking of going with a Penrite DSG fluid. Want to save a few bob and will have time over Christmas period, so might check the volume removed and then replace with funnel by gravity via the filter mounting. The transmission was serviced by a dealer around 45,000km ago (3 years ago) for $460. Even though this recent quote is $320, potentially saving $150 - $250 is still a big saving! Will shop around!

Seen the post after yours, so might just surf the net to see what I can come up with as far as the filter goes, and will use a Penrite specified DSG fluid. I will put back what I drain out - use measuring jug and/or scales. Think best idea is to drain cold, so fluid I take out and new fluid I add are at the same temperature, and therefore same density?

Users Country Flag
    Which is the incorrect way to do it.

You cannot guarentee that the transmission wasn't underfilled previously. The filling tools aren't expensive or hard to get. Just do it right the first time around.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    I agree which is why I've bought a pump to fill from the bottom and have vcds to monitor the temps...

they guy I bought my mk5 Gti off said he serviced it himself last time but I'm not convinced he did it right...

Mine last serviced by a VW dealer, but I take your point.