Thread: Driver's Door - Fault Codes 00096 and 00928

Users Country Flag

Driver's Door - Fault Codes 00096 and 00928

2009 Passat CC 2.0TDI:

Had an intermittent issue unlocking the driver's door using either of two key fobs (all other doors and boot fine).

Checked today with the Foxwell NT510 scanner tool and noticed these two codes together when I looked for any faults under "42 - Door Elect Driver":

00096 Drivers Door Central Locking (Safe) Motor (V161) - sporadic 012 - Electrical Fault Circuit

00928 Locking Module for Central Locking Front Driver Side (F220) - sporadic 008 - Implausible Signal

I've replaced an electric door actuator in a Land Rover and thinking this might be something similar (driver's door seems to go first as it is opened/closed more often). Wondering if this is the same sort of thing? If so, is it fairly cheap to fix and easy to fix? Is there a guide anywhere?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    You need a new door lock module. They all fail in all VW models. Prices range from $40 on ebay to $400 at a dealer.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

It is a fairly common problem affecting mk5 and mk6 era golfs. I have a 2013 Beetle which had the problem starting with an intermittent fault then finally failed. The replacement part was about $250 and was replaced by my VW independent garage
    Tig 162 R-Line; Audi TT

Users Country Flag
    MK4 had the same issue, so more than 20years now, VW still make the same **** design.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Okay, lock arrived from GWP in Bayswater - only took a day and $105 delivered to door! Looks good (6 month replacement warranty, off a low mileage vehicle - checked and tested).

Now, will need to look around for a decent tutorial/guide!

Found this video below on Youtube (not for a 2009 Passat CC exactly - for an 06-10 GTI) - seems to describe the job well, but he removes the inside panel of the door, whereas other videos/descriptions mention removing the outer steel skin of the door! Which is the best way to go here? Any thoughts anyone?

Initially had a look at this Youtube video:

How to Replace Door Lock Actuator Latch 06-10 Volkswagen GTI - YouTube

Had a further lock - this Youtube video looks spot on (albeit for a LHD vehicle) - looks exactly the same as the 2009 Passat CC driver's door.

2010 Volkswagen CC left front door panel removal - YouTube

Now just need to know now if there are any tricks/tips to removing the actuator/lock assembly? Is anyone able to offer some tips?
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 17-08-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Second-hand actuator arrived in the mail.

Part labelled:

"kiekert AG" and "26A - 5N2 837 016C" S24

Here's the manufacturer's website:

Home - Kiekert AG

Assuming they make the actuators for VW?
    Last edited by Deep Blue; 17-08-2020 at 02:59 PM.

2009 VW Passat CC TDI

Busy with a renovation job, but hopefully I will get time in the next few weeks to replace the driver's door lock mechanism. The door became unreliable when unlocking with the key fob a few months ago. The thing is, I didn't notice before because I only just drove the car recently - I had to use it for a small "emergency" - but, the fuel flap also has difficulty opening! Found out when I went to put diesel in - the button on the dash doesn't reliably open the fuel flap - had to try several times - it has never been like this before!

Does anyone know if the driver's door lock issue is related to the fuel flap? Are they linked in some way? Not much point fixing the door lock if I go to get diesel and can't open the fuel flap?