Thread: Discoloration of the steering wheel

Users Country Flag

Discoloration of the steering wheel

Hello, I want to get advise how you have solved the problem of discoloration of the steering wheel (attached pictures), a recommendation for a good product from which manufacturer?
    I am also interested in whether the steering wheel of the Golf 6 R line corresponds to the VW CC model 2014 2.0tdi?
    Thank you in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Discoloration of the steering wheel-thumbnail_img_5387-jpg   Discoloration of the steering wheel-thumbnail_img_5388-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    Looks like the black dye on the leather is wearing off. Some beauty products (in particular hand sanitiser which has been a big deal the past 12 months or so with covid) can wear it off prematurely, as well as rough skin and jewellery etc.

When I bought my Mk7 golf about a year ago it had similar wear on the leather. I used a expensive dye kit which visually dye'd the leather black again but it never looked right. I ended up replacing the steering wheel (or you could get it retrimmed).
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you for the fast response.
    Maybe you can recommend good ( quality) dye kit?

About replacing the steering wheel I called first in my vw dealership they only offered me the same one like now with the price of 1048 USA $... when I asked about other they told me that can order and give warranty only for this , but as I saw on internet many owners of vw cc change their steering wheel with one of Golf 6 R-line which is very nice and if I decide to do change it I would for sure like an upgrade.... Can you or any other member tell me is it right fit for my car or which other can I look at?
    Thank you in advance again.
    All the best

Users Country Flag
    Link to instructions: Steering Wheel DIY | Leatherique Restoration Products

Link to steering wheel kit to buy: LEATHERIQUE LTD
    - Detail

Hopefully these are of some help, although you may need to find something from your country or elsewhere in Europe.

And yes, swapping the steering wheel to a Golf Mk6 is a common upgrade if you decide to change the steering wheel. Can you post a picture of your whole steering wheel?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you again.

In attachment photos from my steering wheel ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Discoloration of the steering wheel-thumbnail_img_6027-jpg   Discoloration of the steering wheel-thumbnail_img_6028-jpg  

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by igorili View Post
    Thank you again.

In attachment photos from my steering wheel ...
    Your steering wheel still looks to be in very good condition. The discoloration is only minor. Definitely worth trying a leather repair kit first considering the small cost.

If you decide you would like to purchase the R line steering wheel, you need to find the part number and then search on ebay. You find lots of people in UK, Europe (in particular Latvia) selling new and second hand VW parts. I regularly buy parts for my cars from Europe, UK and Latvia. Note that you will also need to buy the airbag to suit the new wheel because its a different shape.

BKS tuning sell a brand new genuine steering wheel. I have purchased form BKS a few times and they are good to deal with.

OEM VW Golf MK6 R-Line Sport steering wheel
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST