Thread: Car wont start - strange messages

Car wont start - strange messages

https://imgur.com/a/7xxblRl

Hi All,
    Encountered a strange issue with my 2012 VW cc.
    When I entered the car initially, I had a "key not found" message. I do get this from time to time and I've found if I exit the car and lock/unlock it then it goes away.

Upon re-entering the car I noticed the manual clock on the dash had to wind a lot (sometimes it does, not sure if this is battery related). After trying to start it, the dash would rapidly flash (unusual) whilst displaying the usual "depress brake pedal" message, despite me pressing the pedal. After trying a couple more times I received a "steering lock faulty" message.

Another strange issue I've found is I've noticed that the system seems to always think my key battery's are low after only a short period of time (2 or 3 months). Again, not sure if this is relevant.

I've included a video of what happened.

Has anyone encountered anything similar before?
    Any suggestions on what might be going on here?
    I'm wondering if there's a broader issue with the security system that's causing these other issues (the recurring key not found messages, battery low messages and now not starting)

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Car battery on way out Get it checked
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    As above, I dare say its time for a new battery. Modern cars are so heavily reliant on a reliable power source due to all of the computers and electronics, and once that power source starts to fail you get all sorts of weird dash lights and electronic errors.

Also note that cold weather makes your battery work harder than usual, and if the battery is on its last legs, a few cold days can finish it off.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Yep that's a dead battery

The BCM will do a last-ditch effect to save power when it gets low, that's why the clock looses it's time etc overnight.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Well this definitely sounds like it. The weather has been extra cold lately as we are going into winter.

I will definitely be glad if the issue is the battery as electrical system gremlins are almost certainly much more expensive.

Just got a quote for a replacement battery and omg they're not cheap either!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

ah, you have the VR6 (checked your other posts), bet it's the original battery still, I swapped mine out as a precaution a few months back.
    Battery World had good pricing for an OEM-style replacement VARTA, not cheap but if you get that many years out of them it's worth it.
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro