Thread: Axle Stands for Passat CC - has me a little stumped

Users Country Flag

Axle Stands for Passat CC - has me a little stumped

When I have previously done some work underneath on the 2009 Passat CC 2.0L TDI I have had access to a pit (of sorts). Anyway, now I just want to do an oil change (have done several before with the pit) and so I thought I'd use my axle stands (which I use for my other vehicles) on the front end so I could get the car up enough to get underneath and drain the oil. [My other vehicles have a lot more ground clearance and you can even just crawl underneath at a pinch.]

Well, Passat CC owner's manual mentions the four jacking points, but not potential axle stand locations! With the provided wind-up jack at the triangle-marked location behind the front wheel, it is then impossible from what I can see to put an axle stand alongside it (the jacking sill is only c.10cm long). The provided jack doesn't even really raise the vehicle enough to get an axle stand underneath I don't think.

Am I missing something here? Haven't found any clear guides with photos and I don't want to damage the underside of the vehicle.

Hoping someone can help me out with this one.

Users Country Flag
    I use caravan levelling ramps to get the front high enough, to put a trolley jack under the crossmember, and put axle stands at the jacking points.

Sounds complicated, but it's not. Can have a car raised, and the oil drained in under 5 minutes.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Just need to buy caravan levelling ramps and a trolley jack (you have a good set-up)! I have standard ramps, but of course they're too steep for the CC - have never previously had an issue with just a plain jack and heavy duty axle stands with all my other vehicles. Now I miss the access I had to the pit! Car manufacturers use all the tricks to deter DIY maintainers.

Users Country Flag
    I put the jack stands under the console bushes or straight onto the engine subframe.

If you have ramps you can make timber extensions to decrease the approach angle.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    No good if you're dropping the subframe to pull the gearbag out.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    If you want the ultimate solution, get yourself some of these Jackpoint Jack Stands. I ordered mine directly from the manufacturer (and inventor) in the US. The video is worth watching.

Home
    2007 Passat B6 3.2 litre V6 4Motion | Granite Grey | standard 17" Solitude wheels | tow bar
    Mods: R36 steering wheel | HP DQ250 DSG tune | HPA Haldex performance controller | Koni sports yellow shocks | Eibach springs | H&R sway bars | Whiteline ALK | Kufatec E-MFA add on | Garage door button | Warning triangle retrofit | Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 3C4M Guy View Post
    If you want the ultimate solution, get yourself some of these Jackpoint Jack Stands. I ordered mine directly from the manufacturer (and inventor) in the US. The video is worth watching.

Home
    These look good - wish I'd known about them earlier. I'll check if they have a local distributor seeing freight is likely a few $s.

Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlue View Post
    These look good - wish I'd known about them earlier. I'll check if they have a local distributor seeing freight is likely a few $s.

Thanks.
    This is how I do it now for the Passat CC (also use chocks) - axle stands placed on the official sill jacking points:

Simple how to: Jacking up a VW Golf - YouTube

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
    This is how I do it now for the Passat CC (also use chocks) - axle stands placed on the official sill jacking points:

Simple how to: Jacking up a VW Golf - YouTube
    This is also helpful:

How to Raise and Support 05-10 VW Passat - YouTube