Thread: Australia's Best Cars.

Australia's Best Cars.

As far as I can tell, thats four years in a row (since its release) that the CC has come 2nd in its catergory. Can't quite crack it because of all those other bloody German cars! Pretty consistent though.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tessie View Post
    As far as I can tell, thats four years in a row (since its release) that the CC has come 2nd in its catergory. Can't quite crack it because of all those other bloody German cars! Pretty consistent though.
    I thought the CC would crack it this year for sure, given that the value proposition got even more cutting edge with a number of options now standard on the TDI.

The BMW 320i only came out ahead against the CC TDI on:
    Insurance (+1)
    Environment (+2) - I don't see this as a critical judging criteria myself, unlike the judges.
    Ergonomics (+2) - This is a pretty subjective thing
    Build & Finish Quality (+1) - Again, pretty subjective
    Performance (+1) [but lost 1 point against V6 CC]
    Ride (+1) - Subjective again
    Handling (+2) - And yet another subjective.
    Braking (+1)
    Smoothness and Quietness (+2) [+1 for V6 CC]

But the BMW 320i also lost points against the Volkswagen CC TDI on:
    Running and Repair Costs (-1)
    Fuel Consumption (-1)
    Warranty and Dealer Access (-1)
    and a whopping -5 points on standard features - and let's face it, to most people this will be fairly influential, as ticking off the option lists with BMW is only for those not faint at heart.

I therefore think the overall difference of 50 pts between the ratings given on the BMW 320i and the Volkswagen CC is much closer in reality, and take it as a great compliment that the Volkswagen CC pulled the same overall points rating (with two to spare) as the MB C250 CDI (which is quite a nice car too).

For those who aren't getting their car subsided by their employer, I reckon most would find it difficult to pass the beautiful bang for buck sweet spot the Volkswagen CC TDI offers.

Sure, you won't be able to drag race it (and how often do people really do that anyway), but its got more than enough to make everyday driving a real pleasure. It's a winner to me!
    2013 CC 130TDI Night Blue Metallic with Driver Assistance Package, Park Assist 2, Walnut Trim and Ambient Lighting, Front Active Climate Control Seats, Towbar, and Dynaudio Premium Audio.
    -----
    My previous ride - 2005 Golf Comfortline DSG 2.0 TDI

I am always of the opinion that car reviews and awards can often be based on commercial reasons

Why? Easy a writer can easily make a car best in class if there has been an element of commercial persuasion...

I am not saying corruption but so called car industry 'Perks!' are rife in trading and commerce these days!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Masker View Post
    I am always of the opinion that car reviews and awards can often be based on commercial reasons

Why? Easy a writer can easily make a car best in class if there has been an element of commercial persuasion...

I am not saying corruption but so called car industry 'Perks!' are rife in trading and commerce these days!
    You couldn't rule it out [not these days anyway] but I think the Automobile Association Clubs are genuinely honest, it's just so much comes down to personal likes when it comes to soft stuff, like ride, handling, fit out, etc (as compared to insurance costs or braking capability). People's preferences differ, so you have to put a fudge factor in for your own personal preferences.

For example, I prefer a smoother ride, so I don't mind if I lose a little feedback from the road, as long as the wheels keep gripping the road, I'm happy. I think the judges preferred a more direct feel, through the wheels and the steering, thus giving the BMW's firmer suspension more points (whereas I'd just be annoyed to be sent bouncing over every pothole).

I guess that's why you always need to take a car for a spin yourself, to see if it clicks for you, no matter how highly recommended it comes.
    2013 CC 130TDI Night Blue Metallic with Driver Assistance Package, Park Assist 2, Walnut Trim and Ambient Lighting, Front Active Climate Control Seats, Towbar, and Dynaudio Premium Audio.
    -----
    My previous ride - 2005 Golf Comfortline DSG 2.0 TDI