Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3.6 CC. Cranking but not starting

Users Country Flag

3.6 CC. Cranking but not starting

Hey gents.. Back again.. This car is not doing any favours for VW with me..

Anyway, situation below.

Cold start - car cranks 2-3 times and starts just fine.

Warm(ish) start (within 30mins to 6-7 hours after running) - car cranks and cranks and cranks and eventually starts but runs very rough. Turn it off then start again - car cranks 2-3 times and starts just fine.

I’ve read crank sensor. I’ve also read temperature sensor. Will a VCDS scan show an error even though I’ve not had a CEL on the dash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Would be a good place to start.
    Hopefully point more towards the cause
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag
    Just read something on this today. Could be unrelated but check the section on "carbon deposits" - AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations
    2009 CC 3.6

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers for the link..

Bit of an update. VCDS scan shows no codes pertaining to issues with ignition. Mechanic measured fuel pressure and found there to be a possible issue there. Was able to replicate the problem by manipulating the high pressure fuel pump so the switch was replaced. No dice.

Just got the car back from timing chain replacement thinking that it could be a timing issue (I was well aware the car needed the work). No dice.

I am well and truly over this piece of . I will never buy another Volkswagen again - nothing but problems with it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmau5 View Post
    Cheers for the link..

Bit of an update. VCDS scan shows no codes pertaining to issues with ignition. Mechanic measured fuel pressure and found there to be a possible issue there. Was able to replicate the problem by manipulating the high pressure fuel pump so the switch was replaced. No dice.

Just got the car back from timing chain replacement thinking that it could be a timing issue (I was well aware the car needed the work). No dice.

I am well and truly over this piece of . I will never buy another Volkswagen again - nothing but problems with it.
    Must be poorly maintained, or high km. I've got a MY12 without any real dramas. I service it myself to be sure

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Elmura View Post
    Must be poorly maintained, or high km. I've got a MY12 without any real dramas. I service it myself to be sure

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
    Bit of a **** comment to just assume that the car is poorly maintained.. I’ve got 135k on the clock. I’d list below everything that is wrong with it but I couldn’t be bothered wasting my time with it.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmau5 View Post
    Bit of a **** comment to just assume that the car is poorly maintained.. I’ve got 135k on the clock. I’d list below everything that is wrong with it but I couldn’t be bothered wasting my time with it.

Not really a **** comment. I had an R36 that had some issues which I inherited when I purchased it 80,000km old. The car had impeccable records by VW dealer servicing. That turned out to be useless though coz it depends on how well the servicing is done, and the condition between servicing (possibly ran low oil, didn't change filter, ran poor fuel.... who knows!)

So after a few scans that didn't seem to produce any problems, I finally got my hands on a cable to do my own scans.

Found a p0441 and p000a code. I can't find any information relating to p000a on the 3.6 bws engine. Does anyone have any advice? I have found information related to other engines - camshaft position sensor/camshaft positioner.

001089 - EVAP Emission Control Sys
    P0441 - 002 - Incorrect Flow - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00100010
    Fault Priority: 0
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 255
    Mileage: 136140 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2012.06.11
    Time: 18:34:06

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 648 /min
    Load: 28.2 %
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Temperature: 87.0°C
    Temperature: 39.0°C
    Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
    Voltage: 13.589 V

000010 - Camshaft Positioner (Bank 1 Intake)
    P000A - 008 - Slow Response - Intermittent
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 00101000
    Fault Priority: 0
    Fault Frequency: 1
    Reset counter: 255
    Mileage: 136238 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2012.06.14
    Time: 12:05:44

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 1187 /min
    Load: 68.2 %
    Speed: 0.0 km/h
    Temperature: 27.0°C
    Temperature: 32.0°C
    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
    Voltage: 13.970 V

030907601E will be my first port of call.. Camshaft position sensor

Camshaft position sensor replaced and that didn’t work.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether a faulty N80 valve or blocked line on the evap system (p0441 code) could potentially choke the car of fuel? If so, I’ll purchase a 06D133517B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast