Thread: VW UP Maps and More Retrofit.

Users Country Flag

VW UP Maps and More Retrofit.

Hello to all Members,
    Have recently bought a Used up with all options ticked except for the Maps and More Package. Just wanted to know if any of the Australian VW members have retrofitted the Maps and More System to their car or had a dealer who is willing to do it. I live on the Gold Coast and am awaiting a reply from VW Australia for information on the parts costs so i can follow a guide i have found to be able to complete this, but would rather a professional do the job. Look forward to your posts.
    Joel

Users Country Flag
    I was told it was not a option when the UP! came out. If not factory it couldnt be retro fitted but that was ages ago so might have changed. Let me know how you go with vw mate
    DARKHORSE DEVELOPMENTS
    BLUETOOTH KITS, REVERSE CAMERAS, SATNAV, UPGRADES/MODIFICATIONS, DIAGNOSTICS. ​0420839266
    BRISBANE/GOLDCOAST/IPSWICH
    www.facebook.com/Darkhorsedevelopments www.darkhorsedevelopments.com

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thankyou so much for the reply, I have been watching the British VW UP forums in regards to the Maps and More Retrofit and it has me interested.I know that the Sat Nav really doesn't interest me, but is more the Bluetooth and Vehicle information Section that I would like with my Car. If you have any ideas in Regards to somehow fitting a Bluetooth System that looks factory that would be greatly appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    I will look into it for you mate.
    DARKHORSE DEVELOPMENTS
    BLUETOOTH KITS, REVERSE CAMERAS, SATNAV, UPGRADES/MODIFICATIONS, DIAGNOSTICS. ​0420839266

Users Country Flag
    Looking at the UP! radio and the steering wheel I think you will have to track the maps and more as the two BT kits I fit need either steering wheel controls or a touch screen radio to control...or both of course. If you get more info on the maps and more I would be interested in trying to fit it for you.
    DARKHORSE DEVELOPMENTS

Yes you can retrofit a MnM unit into an Up. You need the unit itself obviously and the mounting parts for the dash, and you need to cut your dash skin to do the install so it's not reversible.

The MnM system wires directly into the head unit so electrically it's an easy fitment.

That said, don't do it. The Nav is outdated (the maps were a year old when I bought our Up, they're now 3 years out of date and VW has no plans to ever update them), and the Bluetooth is ****. Half the time it won't connect to my phone, or it connects but does not pass through the audio.

The MnM unit also stays on for 30 seconds when you turn off the car, so if you're on a phone call on hands free and want to get out of the car and continue talking on the phone itself you need to wait 30 seconds until the MnM unit drops the Bluetooth connection. You can't manually swap to use the phone handset while the MnM Bluetooth is still connected because next time you want to make a call in the car it'll remember you want to talk on the handset and thus won't enable hands free.

If you want a factory-look bluetooth setup find a device with no display and do some creative wiring to connect the buttons to be controlled from the empty button spots to the left of your heater temperature dial.

With the vehicle data, my company HLS (we're sponsors here on VWW) is about to launch a device called Conrod which connects to the VW CAN Gateway and lets you display vehicle data on an optional 3.4" colour display you can mount where the MnM unit would go. If you're in QLD darkhorsedevelopments will be able to hook you up with that also when it ships later this year.

Another factory-look option for Bluetooth control would be to use a Mk6 R steering wheel with the multi-function buttons, which will fit the Up if you also replace the airbag unit. With a bit of custom work (either by yourself if you're into programming and soldering, or by ourselves) our Conrod box can be programmed to intercept the steering wheel buttons and control your Bluetooth module that way.
    Last edited by jamesatfish; 19-05-2015 at 02:11 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you so much for the reply. DarkHorse and I have been talking and when he found out the price for the parts it was going to costs over $1300!!. I was looking for a Bluetooth system for the UP! so these seem like great options.

Users Country Flag

These new products from HLS are very exciting and cant wait to get them on the street.
    DARKHORSE DEVELOPMENTS