Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sharkie's Up! Project

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy35851 View Post
    Just came across this thread - well done so far!
    Not sure if you have seen, but check out Eurospec Automotion Facebook page which is here in Perth. Phil (shop owner) has a crazy Up!
    Wow that is a crazy Up!

Looks like a 1.8T 20V from a Mk4 Golf/Polo GTI. I have heard that these will fit into the very limited space available. Might have to have a chat to him at some point.

At the moment, I'll stick with the 1.0 with the turbo. Will slowly ramp that up as I discover the limits on the drivetrain.

BUT ... would love to do that. Planted a seed ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Some progress on the turbo today ....

The stock 1.0TSI turbo which we have confirmed will bolt up like OEM to the Up! engine, have an electronic wastegate which will not work for this conversion (since an Australian Up!'s ECU cannot control that wastegate).

Sharkie's Up! Project-oem-turbo-1-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-oem-turbo-2-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-oem-turbo-3-jpg

So, an aftermarket adjustable MAMBA wastegate was sourced and we fabricated a bracket to fit it to the little turbo. This wastegate will control what boost the little Up! will be subject to. Also fitted a TIP from Racingline.

Sharkie's Up! Project-mod-turbo-1-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-mod-turbo-2-jpg
    Last edited by Sharkie; 13-01-2022 at 01:39 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Looking good. Even though it's small, I reckon the Up! really needs a turbo to be good.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Since this is to be more an "old-school" type turbo conversion, where crucial real-time information is required, such as boost, AFR and oil-pressure, I wanted to fit a bank of gauges. Was thinking something similar to what a MK1 Golf GTI had ....

Sharkie's Up! Project-mk1-gti-dash-jpg

Tried a generic cheapie bracket off eBay 1st, did not like how it looked.

Sharkie's Up! Project-gauge-1-jpg

Then decided to fabricate something almost exactly like the MK1 in this bit of wasted space

Sharkie's Up! Project-guage-2-jpg

It was a bit of a process going back and forth to get it fitting correctly ...

Sharkie's Up! Project-guage-3-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-guage-4-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-guage-5-jpg

And painted (still want to carbonwrap this) with the correct gauges

Sharkie's Up! Project-gauge-6-jpg
    Last edited by Sharkie; 15-01-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Have you seen the new MightyCarMods project car?

2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Have you seen the new MightyCarMods project car?

That is pretty cool, I'll need to check in on it periodically to see their progress. I'm a little further down the road than them, but really good to see some of my decisions validated.

Finished off the gauges this weekend, decided on SaaS for all of them in the end as I like how they looked. Did the basic (no-functional) wiring too to get them turning on and fed the sensor wires/tubes to the front. Need to complete that off the next few weekends.

Sharkie's Up! Project-lr-gauge-1-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-lr-gauge-2-jpg

Between other things happening, had a tiny bit of time to start planning the actual turbo fitment.

I bought an entire spare engine and gearbox to make this easier .... plus it means I have spares in case we blow something up

Simple vacuum tap (common from aftermarket diverter valves) fitted to provide the wastegate and the piggyback ECU with manifold pressure.

Sharkie's Up! Project-vacuum-tap-jpg

Simple piping from the turbo to the throttlebody for the 1st few PSI of boost. Not going to run an intercooler immediately (already have 1 ready), I just want to run it at low boost for a bit to settle everything including the piggyback.

Sharkie's Up! Project-turbo-pipe-jpg

And playing with the oil and water feed piping routing with the turbo attached.

Sharkie's Up! Project-turbo-testmount-jpg

Need to modify the OEM feed pipes on the oil feed side, but looks OK.

And finally need to make a bracket to fix the downpipe to the block but that will happen soon. Looks like lot of work to go, but as there things go, near the end a lot can come together very quickly if you planned it all out .... I hope
    Last edited by Sharkie; 07-03-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Users Country Flag
    looks fun. if u ever have trouble getting that plastidip off the rims which can happen espeically on the difficult parts of the rim... u gotta soak the plastidip with a turps* and a rag.. pretty heavily and itll start to melt / wipe off with some elbow grease

Correction*... U need kerosene not Turps.. got mixed up
    Last edited by amunra; 01-06-2022 at 02:23 PM.

Users Country Flag

hi sharkie.

where did you get the auto headlight set up from?

just did a quick google and cant find it.

hows it sound running the miltek system on it?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast