Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sharkie's Up! Project

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Nice work! Was that just plasti-dip or did you go with something more permanent?
    Just Plasti-Dip. It gives it an OEM look and feel (mat black plastic). I found that if prepped OK, Plasti-dip can last for a long time and if it comes off too quickly, I'll look at a permanent black coat.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Couple more mods incoming, not performance related but usability improvements. Might start a pure non-performance enhancement thread just to showcase how you can make a stock Up! better without turning it into "performance" car

Had to make a trip today to get a spare key cut, mixed highway and town driving .... 4.6l/100km and this little thing is super smooth at the speed limit (100) and has no trouble staying at that speed in 5th hill up or down.

Sharkie's Up! Project-up-fuel-jpg

BTW, the range is 560km with 110 done already on the tank .... from a 35l tank and I have only ever put 32l in it.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 15-04-2021 at 03:42 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Fitted Auto headlight switch to the Up! this weekend.
    Sharkie's Up! Project-up-auto-4-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-up-auto-5-jpg

Users Country Flag
    no ways, just bought an UP! aswell i will post some pics with the Amarok LOL, birds of a feather UP and Amarok together. plus my Tiggie

Quote Originally Posted by TSOTSI View Post
    no ways, just bought an UP! aswell i will post some pics with the Amarok LOL, birds of a feather UP and Amarok together. plus my Tiggie
    Keep an eye on this thread (and the modernization thread) lots more to come .....

This arrived yesterday from the UK ... 1.0TSI turbo direct bolt on to the Up!
    Sharkie's Up! Project-up-turbo-1-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-up-turbo-2-jpg

I have a CarPlay radio and RVC ready to go to, plus rear parking sensors, just need enough time to fit and configure.

The turbo will need the following to fit:
    - Downpipe (I have it on order)
    - Turbo Intake pipe (I have it on order)
    - Turbo water and oil connections (TBD what is required)
    - some custom piping - turbo to intake manifold (which I will make)
    - removal of electronic wastegate and replacement with manual external wastegate (already arrived)
    - Boost gauge and Air fuel ratio gauge (to order)
    - Fueling (TBD what is required) after all is installed and run at lowest possible boost

Gearbox and clutch overhauls once the above is all in.

For some inspiration .... The Reds
    Sharkie's Up! Project-up-miltek-done-3-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-reds-jpg
    Sharkie's Up! Project-mean-meaner-jpg
    Last edited by Sharkie; 14-08-2021 at 09:23 AM.

Manually adjustable wastegate
    Sharkie's Up! Project-wastegate-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Great to see someone having a crack at turbocharging one of these. How will you go about tuning it? And what are you going to do about the gearbox as I've heard they aren't rated for much torque.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbapkid View Post
    Great to see someone having a crack at turbocharging one of these. How will you go about tuning it? And what are you going to do about the gearbox as I've heard they aren't rated for much torque.
    Thanks, I'm excited about it still. Waiting on the downpipe (from Miltek in the UK) to arrive before doing anything else.

On the gearbox side, I know the std box isn't rated high, which is interesting as the 5spd box in the AW Polo is a direct fit (looks and bolts on the same according to Erwin)and it is rated at 160NM+. If I break this 1, I will replace it with the Polo box.

Tuning wise I am looking at a programmable fueler for additional fuel as necessary. Old school extra injector stuff. At low boost the stock ECU should cope well with timing and fueling I'm expecting.

Long term, a full AW Polo engine and gearbox (including the ECU etc) transplant is on the cards.

Big box containing the downpipe arrived from the UK yesterday . Now just waiting on the oil feed piping I ordered to arrive (also from the UK) ....

Just came across this thread - well done so far!
    Not sure if you have seen, but check out Eurospec Automotion Facebook page which is here in Perth. Phil (shop owner) has a crazy Up!
    2019 Tiguan R-Line - IS38 Turbo - Spectuned - X-Force Downpipe - RS7 Spark Plugs - CTS Inlet Elbow - ECS Inlet Pipe - K&N Panel Filter - Golf R Muffler - APR Exhaust Controller - Superpro Rear Swaybar - Digital Dash Retrofitted - 034 Dogbone Mount - DBA T3 Rotors & Pads - Golf R Springs

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast