Support VWWC

Thread: Daily Up!dates ~ A build, mods and maintenance thread

Users Country Flag

Daily Up!dates ~ A build, mods and maintenance thread

Hi All,

Picked up an Up recently, and thought I might document my maintenance, mods, and plans for it.
    It's a Red 2012 3 door model, with a smidge over 60K on the clock.

Paint is a little rough in places, but it's not in immediate need for a respray.
    Current plans are for this econobox to take over daily duties from my R36, as I'll likely be moving that on soon.
    There will be a few track days in the future as well, hopefully through nugnats but other wise just for fun.

Hoping to have a post up next week about the service items I plan on knocking out over the weekend.

Cheers!
    2004 MK4 R32 - Reflex Silver - KW V3 - AdvanSport V105 - Colour Matched RCN210
    2012 up! 3Door - Tornado Red - More details soon…

Users Country Flag
    My brother has a four door red up! They are great cars, feel way more zippy than the 3 cylinder has you believe.

Did yours come with cruise control?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    MY12 Passat FSI Highline | 3.6L VR6 | Cashmere Brown | Driver Assistance Package | Dynaudio | Discover Media | TPMS Direct | Side Assist | Adaptive Cruise | 3D colour cluster | More coming soon
    Genuine VCDS HEX-NET and VCP Pro

Users Country Flag
    Good to see the Up!s getting some love. Such a lovely little car and so fun to drive.

A few undergoing some mods at the moment ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MIG View Post
    My brother has a four door red up! They are great cars, feel way more zippy than the 3 cylinder has you believe.

Did yours come with cruise control?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    They sure do. I had a Daihatsu Cuore a few years back with a similar engine. VW’s implementation certainly has more oomph, especially in the mid range.

Afraid not. Mines about as basic as it gets I think. No CC, no M&M.

That should be changing soon however…

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Good to see the Up!s getting some love. Such a lovely little car and so fun to drive.

A few undergoing some mods at the moment ....
    Yup, they’re pretty basic, but it’s a VW basic so the cabin is still a nice place to be.

Mod posts will start once I’ve got maintenance sorted

So my sparesbox order containing the servicing parts has been delayed, so I didn’t get much done over the weekend.

A goodies box from Aliexpress arrived early however, so here’s a sneak preview:

If I’ve gotten my measurements right, this should sneak in just under the AC controls, and give me CarPlay/Android Auto in a single din, oem~ish looking package …

Users Country Flag
    Nice to see another up around getting some love.

Cruise control is do able. Sharkie helped me with the coding and you can get a kit from kufatec for the stalk and wiring. When I find a bit of spare time I will see about putting a build log about it up as there is a few extra bits of info that doesn't come in kufatecs instructions.

I've done the full double din conversion and a pretty decent audio upgrade on mine that again when I get a bit of spare time I'll look at completing.

If you plan to do any big driving in it as I do because it's my work daily, I would suggest investing in some extra sound deadening. I have a 2 door and have done the front door the rear quarters panels rear wheel tubs in 2 stage and started doing the boot with first stage. I have killed a heap of road noise in the car and made big gains for the audio quality too.

Quote Originally Posted by kristianvanek View Post
    Nice to see another up around getting some love.

Cruise control is do able. Sharkie helped me with the coding and you can get a kit from kufatec for the stalk and wiring. When I find a bit of spare time I will see about putting a build log about it up as there is a few extra bits of info that doesn't come in kufatecs instructions.

I've done the full double din conversion and a pretty decent audio upgrade on mine that again when I get a bit of spare time I'll look at completing.

If you plan to do any big driving in it as I do because it's my work daily, I would suggest investing in some extra sound deadening. I have a 2 door and have done the front door the rear quarters panels rear wheel tubs in 2 stage and started doing the boot with first stage. I have killed a heap of road noise in the car and made big gains for the audio quality too.
    A build log for cruise control would be great
    And noted re the Kufatek, will have to pull the wallet out over the weekend. I've got an OBDeleven dongle, so should be able to code stuff as needed.

I looked at the double din upgrade and might go down that route if this single din unit of mine doesn't play out. Planning to have it up and running this weekend, so will post up some pictures when that's done.

I don't do too much long distance driving at the moment, but a but of sound deadening never hurts.
    I was looking at a Plug&Play Focal speaker kit for my 32, which looks to be up! compatible as well, so if that happens I'll do a write up here.

2 out of the 8 or so service items I ordered from Sparesbox two weeks ago have turned up, so still no updates on maintenance. Checkout said to be delivered in 5-6 business days. Won't catch me ordering from them again any time soon....

Been a very busy few weeks between work, family and the shed being used to rebush my mates track car, and sparesbox needing two support tickets, three shipments and as many weeks to get stuff to my door.
    So I have only gotten around a little bit of maintenance and a basic install of the head unit.

Maintenance :
    Installed new plugs and coils, and a new air filter.
    Engine Oil was done sub two thousand km’s ago by the previos owner, but I’ll likely be doing that again next weekend along with new gearbox fluid.

A/V :

Head Unit install didn't quite go as smoothly as I’d hoped, but for what I paid I’m pretty happy with the end result.
    Its a WinCE based unit which does FM Radio (no AM that i've been able to enable tho), Wired CarPlay/Android Auto, USB Media playback, and has RVC in and RCA outs on the back.
    Claimed 40wpc, haven't really had to test but it sounds just as good as the stock unit after a little bit of EQ.

The product images for the facia kit made it hard to tell there was a white outline on it (or I didn't look hard enough), but I can live with that to be honest.

Head unit itself does interfere with the outside/re-circ slider on A/C controls, but you can still sorta change it with something long and skinny behind the screen.

Only have it hooked up to 12V, Ground and Accessory atm, while i investigate which line to tap from the headlight switch for an illumination signal. The unit can accept a SWC input but thats a bit of a rabit hole on up's...

Would be nice to get the RVC hooked up at some point as well, but thats not super high on the list of priorities atm.

Upcoming mods :

I scored a MK7 GTI Steering Wheel with a matching clock spring off marketplace for very cheap. The Stock wheel isn’t the worst I’ve used, I just don’t like the plastic feel. Im 99% sure this will physically bolt up, but it might be a little bit of work to get an airbag hooked up properly. Getting the steering wheel controls functioning does seem to technically be possible, but like RVC is not high on the list of priorities atm.

Currenly also looking into wether or not 9N3 Polo GTI seats will bolt up...
    The few twisty's I've been on have left me wanting some more bolstering.

More to come soon!