Thread: Reverse gear crunching

Reverse gear crunching

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem with the vw up gearbox.

More often than not when putting the car in to reverse gear there is a crunching sound.

Is this common for such new car?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

seems like there are some people that report noisy gearboxes in the Up!, but hard to pin down what it actually is.

Given the UP! is essentially a budget car, I would expect to have to treat the gearbox somewhat with care as it is not going to be particularly sophisticated.

Typically small car gearboxes need a little time with your foot on the clutch to ensure the main-shaft slows down/stops before you try to select reverse, as otherwise if the mainshaft is still spinning it will inevitably crunch when you try to engage the gear. This would normally take a couple of seconds.... so my advice would be, try doing it more slowly and ensure the pedal is fully depressed.

If you absolutely cannot select reverse without it crunching, then you probably have a warped/out of alignment friction plate and it will need changing.
    '07 Touareg V6 TDI with air suspension
    '98 Mk3 Cabriolet 2.0 8V
    '99 A4 Quattro 1.8T

Users Country Flag
    I take it that it is a manual as I recall reading that it is not available in an auto.

In a manual transmission, reverse is not operated via synchromesh. There is a gear that physically moves across to engage, so if the internals are just turning over, you will get a crunch as there can be enough drag on the clutch to cause the lay shaft in the gearbox to rotate.

The best way to overcome this is to first put the transmission into 1st, then without letting the clutch up to them move it into reverse. By moving the transmission into first, you effectively stop everything in the gearbox from rotating momentarily so that when you now move into reverse, the gearbox is stationary. The reverse gear that is moved across has a much greater bevel lead in to allow teeth that are not perfectly aligned to engage.
    --

Users Country Flag
    Also make sure you have completely stopped before moving into reverse. As said before there is no syncro so the gearbox internals must be stationary before shifting it into reverse. My wifes fiesta has the same issue but only with me as im not as patient with it as her.

Sent from my GT-I9100
    MY11 CW Golf RIntake, Tune, DP, DV+Superpro arms and ALKCustom 4" tipsTWM Short Shifter

Thanks guys for the follow up.

I'm very careful as to making sure the vehicle is completely stationary before shifting in to reverse.

I've tried putting the vehicle in to first gear before shifting in to reverse, but more often than not it still crunches.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yep ours does it all the time.
    We find that if you double declutch and slowly put it in reverse it slots in quietly 80% of the time.

Users Country Flag

+1 for double clutch and only shifting at complete stop. That solved it for ours