DNA Tuning (Australia)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Word of Warning for SA modified vehicle owners

Users Country Flag

In conclusion this means no tuner should be selling their tunes as undetectable; there's obviously some misleading info out there in this regard.

I think there are differences in how easily detectable a tune is for sure. I guess when you have a custom DP on it's a bit of a giveaway.

However I come back to the point that this particular dealer chose to flag the car as it was only going in to get a waste gate clip fitted at the time.

Other dealers may have chosen to act differently.

At the end of the day VW still came to the party and replaced the defective part under warranty but this was a minor cost and not an engine or DSG...

Users Country Flag
    Sure, if you go to the dealer for the repair only that doesn't require to connect the car to VAS equipment, then they don't have to flag it. But, if you go there for servicing as well, then the car is connected to VAS machine and it will get flaged. Not much anyone can do about that and the VW could justify it by saying that the tune would interfere with the software update (or impossible to update) in the engine or the DSG ECU, and the sw updates are important for the car safety or reliability, simple like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Sure, if you go to the dealer for the repair only that doesn't require to connect the car to VAS equipment, then they don't have to flag it. But, if you go there for servicing as well, then the car is connected to VAS machine and it will get flaged.
    That's exactly it. I suspect that if the car is connected to VW's VAS equipment, it'll be flagged if your ECU software is in any way modified from stock - so it won't be up to the dealer as to whether this information is recorded or not. And the info will likely be stored against your VIN in VAG systems shared by all dealerships, so it won't be a matter of flashing back to stock and visiting another dealer either.

I don't see this as a bad thing - I think you're much better off being honest and open with your dealer anyway; that's the best way to get good service. And if you find that your dealer is negative or hostile about your decision to tune, then simply choose another dealership (or an independent) for servicing.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    That's exactly it. I suspect that if the car is connected to VW's VAS equipment, it'll be flagged if your ECU software is in any way modified from stock - so it won't be up to the dealer as to whether this information is recorded or not. And the info will likely be stored against your VIN in VAG systems shared by all dealerships, so it won't be a matter of flashing back to stock and visiting another dealer either.
    ...except my car was only booked in for a waste gate clip to be fitted. No need to be fiddling around with VAS/ECU at all. But they would have seen my nice shiny DP while they were iunder there.

I don't see this as a bad thing - I think you're much better off being honest and open with your dealer anyway; that's the best way to get good service. And if you find that your dealer is negative or hostile about your decision to tune, then simply choose another dealership (or an independent) for servicing.
    I didn't hide anything from them - just now any claim will come up with a red flag saying my engine has been tuned and I have an aftermarket steering wheel in my car. You can't tell me that VAS told them that!!!

Agree with being honest with the dealer and that is what I have been. Ultimately the dealer didn't need to do it but chose to.

I'm sure if it was your car that had been flagged on the system you'd be a little less than impressed with the dealer. It's an issue of trust that you have with the service dept and right now that trust has been betrayed.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    ...except my car was only booked in for a waste gate clip to be fitted. No need to be fiddling around with VAS/ECU at all. But they would have seen my nice shiny DP while they were iunder there.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's standard policy for a VW dealer who's servicing your car (or fitting the wastegate clip) to hook in the diagnostics - to see if any updates are available, and generally to do their "due diligence". Don't get me wrong, I can understand your frustration, but I do wonder if they're just following procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I didn't hide anything from them - just now any claim will come up with a red flag saying my engine has been tuned and I have an aftermarket steering wheel in my car. You can't tell me that VAS told them that!!!

Agree with being honest with the dealer and that is what I have been. Ultimately the dealer didn't need to do it but chose to.

I'm sure if it was your car that had been flagged on the system you'd be a little less than impressed with the dealer. It's an issue of trust that you have with the service dept and right now that trust has been betrayed.
    Sorry mate, wasn't implying that you were in any way being dishonest or trying to hide anything. I think your DP and other tasteful mods do suggest the car's not entirely stock anyway. I agree that it is disappointing that the car has been flagged, but I suppose it's best looked at as being inevitable in the long run. Hopefully that despite the VAS system now alerting the dealer that your car has been modified, you'll still get decent, fair and equitable service from Solitaire. You still spent a packet buying the car. And if not, there are two other VW dealerships that may be worth driving to for servicing... and there's Miro too.
    Last edited by AdamD; 20-03-2013 at 09:22 PM.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

I wouldn't be surprised if it's standard policy for a VW dealer who's servicing your car (or fitting the wastegate clip) to hook in the diagnostics - to see if any updates are available, and generally to do their "due diligence". Don't get me wrong, I can understand your frustration, but I do wonder if they're just following procedure.
    I understand your point, however I still suspect this was done manually.

Sorry mate, wasn't implying that you were in any way being dishonest or trying to hide anything. I think your DP and other tasteful mods do suggest the car's not entirely stock anyway.
    Yeah you don't have too look too hard to work out that it's not completely stock. There's a couple of big chunks of carbon under the bonnet and if it's up on a hoist there's a fair bit of non-standard stuff without looking too hard. Though I've tried to keep everything as OEM as possible.

I agree that it is disappointing that the car has been flagged, but I suppose it's best looked at as being inevitable in the long run.
    Possibly, though if it hadn't have been flagged the coil pack replacement would have been a non-issue. I'd only authorised them to perform warranty work on the car so if they had done all the investigation to find out that it was a faulty coil pack (which I'd already told them) and VW not accept the claim then they would have been out of pocket. And it would only have been their fault.

The only thing they would have been able to do was sell me a spare from the spare parts desk - though likely I would have gone down the road anyway as they didn't have one in stock...

Hence why I said I don't understand the point of them flagging the car in the first place as they are potentially also going to be out of pocket and lose a customer or two in the process. To me it just doesn't make sense why a VW service centre would do it.

Hopefully that despite the VAS system now alerting the dealer that your car has been modified, you'll still get decent, fair and equitable service from Solitaire.
    I think you're operating under the assumption that I'm going to go back. Not sure where you got that idea from

You still spent a packet buying the car. And if not, there are two other VW dealerships that may be worth driving to for servicing... and there's Miro too.
    Yes I'm going to have to take extra specially good care of my car now that the drivetrain warranty is under question. Well in reality I think there's only about 12 months of warranty left and I've changed close to half the car anyway...

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

Re: Word of Warning for SA modified vehicle owners

Yes, very frustrating - I think the name "service" dept is largely inaccurate nowadays (like public "Servants"). You would think that they would bend over backwards to keep the customer coming back, given that after you've purchased the vehicle they are your primary contact, and if they keep you happy you're more likely to purchase another vehicle down the track!
    With regards to recording the mods, I think it comes down to them covering their own ass, which seems to be more important for most places nowadays.
    With the warranty, I'm not too concerned as (like most people, especially fellow forum members) I'm pretty careful to not do anything too drastic that could overtax the engine/drivetrain. Plus, any true manufacturing fault would normally become evident pretty quickly - that's where these extended waranties tend to be just a money-making exercise for the dealer/manufacturer (especially on things like whitegoods, as I found out recently - god they push it hard!) Lastly, gone are the days where manufacturers think they can bluff you in to thinking you MUST use genuine parts - the Trade Practices Act states (as far as I'm aware), something along the lines that an aftermarket product can't be seen to void warranty, so long as it meets or exceeds the original equipment (OE) manufacturers specifications. Have supplied non-genuine parts & accessories for 20-odd years now and am yet to have had a problem. Besides which, most of the bigger aftermarket suppliers (eg. Viezu), have their own insurance that will pay for any replacement/repairs due to a failure directly attributeable to their product. Having said all that, I don't think I'll be getting another VAG vehicle, given the general H.I.A attitude of VWA and lack of dealer service/support. That plus the fact that any aftermarket stuff (mods) are so bloody hard to get/expensive (comparitively).
    Will probly look at something more mainstream and better setviced/supported next time (eg. Forester XT) - sorry!

Sent from my ZTE T28 using Tapatalk 2
    2011 147TSi 7spd DSG Reflex Silver, 18" New York Alloys, Leather with MDI, ECB Nudge Bar, Viezu Tune (Work in Progress), Eibach ProKit Springs, SuperPro Poly ALK & Rear Trailing Arm Bushes, H&R 26mm Rear ASB and Whiteline HD Adjustable End-Links, VAR Design 3" Downpipe, Sprint Booster, Auto-Polar FIS+ Advanced Module, GTI Sports Pedals, Flappy Paddle Strg Wheel, LED fogs as DRL, chrome blingy bits

Users Country Flag

Hmm, I'm sceptic, but I hope you find what you're looking for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12