Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen crack down on tuning

Users Country Flag

Volkswagen crack down on tuning

Hey

just wanted to know if anyone else has heard Volkswagen Australia is now able to check if you have flashed your ecu now even if you bring it back to stock.

any more info would be helpful on if it's safe for warranty issues later on down the track that the tuner companies will some how be able to by pass this once again
    SOLD BLUE MY12 GOLF R MK6 APR STAGE 2+ SOLD
    WHITE MY18 GOLF R MK7.5 WOLFSBURG
    WHITE MY18 TIGUAN R LINE PACK WITH SUNROOF

Users Country Flag
    Has been the case since around the time the Mk7 came out.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah but now volkswagen scanner can now detect this change and automatically sends vin number to head office for it to void the engine warranty as apparently alot of v6 amaroks and tiguans turbos have been failing along side golfs 4wd systems units. This new software has only come about in the last 2 months as a head service guy i know told me.

Some tuners claim their tunes are not detectable. This may be true at the present point in time, however all that needs to happen is for VW to modify their detection methods and what was once an undetectable tune will then be flagged up.

So therein lies the problem. You can’t predict what is going to happen in the future.

What you can do is choose a reputable tuning brand that will go into bat for their customers should anything go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Seen plenty of failed haldex's on std cars. Have had to turn away a good handful of 7Rs and S3s, some took a couple of trips to the dealer to be sorted under warranty prior to tuning.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground_Level View Post
    Yeah but now volkswagen scanner can now detect this change and automatically sends vin number to head office for it to void the engine warranty as apparently alot of v6 amaroks and tiguans turbos have been failing along side golfs 4wd systems units. This new software has only come about in the last 2 months as a head service guy i know told me.
    It's definitely not a new thing.

Current era of ECUs used, shows in VW's diagnostic software how often it's been flashed, and whether the current version is correct for the car.

Hence why everything started off with piggy-back modules on the Mk7s, before the knowledge base caught up.

The thing about being undetectable, is knowing what the ODIS software is looking for, and what it sends back to Germany, before you can figure out what to hide or mask.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Ground_Level View Post
    That confirms what I was told and mentioned in the other thread. Someone mentioned there it was not the case and VW could not detect it but I now suspect he is wrong with your additional information.

Users Country Flag
    Given the sophistication of current ECUs I would suspect that it would be pretty easy for a manufacturer to implement code that is designed to detect circumstances where an intercept type tuning box is artificially manipulating sensor values.

I mean dieselgate proves that using only existing sensors and parameters they can detect when a car is in a static test environment so how hard would it be to detect a possible tuning box?

It's obviously trivial to detect an updated ecu map applied via a flash unless it has been masked by generating a suitable byte pattern that results in the correct CRC that is produced by the stock ecu image.
    As always, it's an arms race between manufacturers and tuners.

To me a tuning friendly manufacturer is a good thing as it helps to foster an aftermarket and enthusiast community which will always be your strongest supporters but I can see where they are coming from in wanting to protect their IP and also being able to detect when a modification may have caused a premature component failure so as to deny warranty claims that may be outside of the scope of what is manufacturer specifications....

Just my 2c

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Looking at the morality of running a tuning box etc if you then remove it in order to claim a warranty problem it is dishonest to say the least and probably fraudulent and could be pursued if a manufacturer were so inclined. I saw one case which very nearly finished up in court because of similar circumstances but the manufacturer backed off, the customer had clearly tried to rip off the warranty system when he knew that he had caused the damage.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

It was a meeting held with high end techs to inform them of this new development. Which happened about 2 months ago at sydney .Yes its been around since mk7 but this is now even if you go in for a general service once they plug the scanning tool in which they do every service boom gone. I mean there is ways around it you just dont get your car serviced by local dealer. And as a friend of mine said if its a brand new car you really are only going to see them 3 times in the whole time you are under warranty anyways so the choice is yours. To risk it to get the biscuit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast