Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuning options for AGU 1.8T conversion into mk1 Golf

Users Country Flag

What about an engine transplant from mk5 and use the newer ECU ?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    What about an engine transplant from mk5 and use the newer ECU ?
    Thought about it, then a mk4 GTI came up at auction cheap so i bought it. Worked on the 20v for so many years so i am comfortable with it i suppose.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratstylz View Post
    Thought about it, then a mk4 GTI came up at auction cheap so i bought it. Worked on the 20v for so many years so i am comfortable with it i suppose.
    Try RTECH Performance in the UK for tuning the ecu. They are legends in the UK with a lot of experience with the 1.8t.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratstylz View Post
    How far away are you from fitting the engine and turning it over?

I found all my old chip read/write tools. I can prepare an immo off ecu for you in the mean time so you can atleast start your car.

I have a reputable guy with a stage 1 tune file I might be able to use.
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 05-10-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Given the number of GTIs that were tuned there is a good chance the one you have is already done.
    What was the donor car like ? lowered with rims = probably tuned. Stock everything probably stock tune.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    Given the number of GTIs that were tuned there is a good chance the one you have is already done.
    What was the donor car like ? lowered with rims = probably tuned. Stock everything probably stock tune.
    Totally stock mate..... Full dealer service history which was a nice surprise

Users Country Flag
    Hi all!
    Quite a long time since I've been on these here forums!

Any updates on this conversation for places to get a 1.8T AGU tune?
    (Mine is still in the actual MK4 GTI vehicle, not going in a MK1).

I've still got the APR Stage 1 ECU running absolutely fine in my car.

... But I have a brand new 42DD full exhaust (3" DP, 2.5" Cat Back, hidden tips) still sitting in my mates' shed waiting for an install for a couple of years now, and I installed a decent little Apexi FMIC a few years back too (which helped massively with the heat-soak from the old original SMIC), but still on the APR Stage 1 tune with it.

So I'm getting a heap of paint work done at the moment (hail damage claim), and finally taking notice of the car again... and have been trying to find info on a nice clean basic stage 2 tune from somewhere that won't break the bank, so I can make use of the FMIC and the full exhaust as I already have them. (I have sitting spare the original ECU/ECM ready to flash, which will avoid conflicts with the APR one that probs has a chip soldered inside).

A K03s would be nice to add in there too for just a little more pep (from a modular/plug and play mod), if I came across a cheap one floating around.

But all this talk of nowhere/no-one that actually seems to able to do them at all in Australia these days?!?!?!

...That's making me think maybe I don't have that option anymore... maybe time to sell once all the paint is complete, and before I install the new full exhaust if there's nowhere in the country to get a basic stage 2 tune.

Do you know anyone with a stage 2 tune file Mr Sirocco20348? Or any other ideas that might help for my setup?

Massive thanks in advance for any help or good ideas guys!
    Dark Grey Mk4 Golf, 1.8T GTI conversion, APR stage 1, stock air intake, FMIC, 3" to 2.5" Exhaust, FK AK Street Coils, Black 18" (Avant Garde M310's ?), tinted tails, ...

Users Country Flag
    It seems that way, m3.8 support in Australia is dead. I haven't tried ringing Quattro Motorsport, they might be able to help.

Otherwise I reached out on the nefmoto forums and I had 4 people willing to provide a Stage 1 flash file customised to the mods the person had. They wanted roughly $300...

The people came highly recommended. But they are in Greece, Belgium... Etc. So if you need support haha

Users Country Flag
    After finally getting all of the paint work done, and then fixed up (they broke things), through the insurance claim, I'm back to sorting all of the other things out for the car. Little plastic bits and pieces that have worn out I can order from eBay, but this ECU tuning.... Now the car has been painted, it feels even more like it should have the exhaust on and a tune done.

Is there any more news from anyone?

Any more news from your end Sirocco? I had a very quick look on the NefMoto forums, and ended up down a small rabbit hole trying to learn how to flash a tune, but then realised that info I came across wasn't for the one I had, the "M3.8.3" ECUs.

The $300 price sounds ok for the customised Stage 1 tune (wouldn't that be a stage 2?), but I'm not pumped about sending my ECU out of the country if it's not going to a somewhat legitimate business (I want to see it again someday). Or are you talking about just getting them to make a tune that I/we flash onto it ourselves? I'm keen to find out more if that's the only direction we have?

Randomly, I found a guy selling a 2004 Audi A4 with a heap of work done, and he said he has spare ECUs with different tunes on them for different uses because he does his own tunes. He's in Maitland and I'm in Newcastle these days, so I've reached out to see if he'd be able to help out in any way with a tune and I'll pay him, or info on how to do it. I'm assuming/hoping he's dealing with a similar ECU if he says he has AGU engine parts in his engine build?

Gav, I know you've said you're not doing the older ones anymore, but is there any chance? I can send the stock ECU and leave with you for quite a while if that helps, as I also have the daily APR stage 1 (I think it might have been Lito's from a lifetime ago, maybe). Or would you be able to point me in the right direction of info to do a basic/mild stage 2 tune myself?

Thanks for your time everyone! I'm still hoping we can find a way to get a basic stage 2 tune done (just something that's taking into account the small-med FMIC and the 3" to 2.5" exhaust, nothing fancy, not chasing big HP/KW numbers, just want to be efficient and making the most of the basic gear I have).
    Dark Grey Mk4 Golf, 1.8T GTI conversion, APR stage 1, stock air intake, FMIC, 3" to 2.5" Exhaust, FK AK Street Coils, Black 18" (Avant Garde M310's ?), tinted tails, ...

Users Country Flag

Personally I would avoid nefmoto purely based on the fact that the guys flashing your ecu are not local.... The last thing you want is to send it to them, send it back and it doesn't work 100%. But up to you..

I confirmed with Gavin a while back that he does indeed still have his flash cable. But you need to get the tune from somewhere.... And you still have the problem that he isn't interested in doing mk4s anymore.

It's just unfortunate that we are not DBW with the newer ecu.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast