Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tuning options for AGU 1.8T conversion into mk1 Golf

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post
    Me either.

Waltz into an APR dealer, (GIAC/Unitronic) if you can find them and ask about flashing your ME3.8 ecu and see what happens in 2019.

ME3.8 is dead to the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok so far your track record of 'assumptions' in this thread has been below average... E.g not able to flash tune a me3.8.

Yes the me3.8 is an old ecu with minimal support in Australia.

I gave a list of potential tuners that possibly might be able to flash. GIAC still list the me3.8 ecu on their website for stage 1 tune... and apparently they have 2 reps in Australia!

I'm not going to do all the ringing around for everyone, but I'm providing WORTHWHILE information that this guy can follow up with.

If he has absolutely no luck in Australia, then he can easily send his ecu to the UK, where RTECH performance or JBS will flash a stage 1 tune with their eyes closed.

Dead to you maybe... But the knowledge of how to flash and tune these ecus is still available to be found worldwide.

Users Country Flag
    Sorry folks. I have stopped doing mk4 gtis. The ecu can be flashed in the car with the correct tools. APR likely haven't got the support anymore and definitely wouldn't be set up to defeat immobilisers.
    They always used to desolder the chip and replace it.

Won't take long on Google to find someone here to do it though.
    Gavin

APR never did flash tuning on cars with drive by cable. We used to send the ecu to have a chip fitted.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Users Country Flag
    Firstly I'll add I was a dealer for both Unitronic and Giac at one stage :

APR wont touch older ecu's . They will just tell you they cant do it as they only ever soldered them
    Unitronic have no idea how to tune them , after giving them a stock mk4 they botched the tune up so bad that I had to give a refund as it was marginally better than a car running a manual boost controller
    Giac always had soldered tunes but current dealers dont have the equipment anymore
    Revo - they could possibly help as they did flash their cars , but , they only ever did a stage 1 tune for the mk4
    LM tuning - no , just no
    Quattro motorsport - can do it , but I gave up after asking for 9 months
    Etuners - maybe , possibly , but not right now

My personal opinion - convert it to DBW and wideband and run a Haltech ECU
    Last edited by Bug_racer; 02-10-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
    Bug_racer supports the rebellion of the euro revolution

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Bug_racer View Post
    Firstly I'll add I was a dealer for both Unitronic and Giac at one stage :

APR wont touch older ecu's . They will just tell you they cant do it as they only ever soldered them
    Unitronic have no idea how to tune them , after giving them a stock mk4 they botched the tune up so bad that I had to give a refund as it was marginally better than a car running a manual boost controller
    Giac always had soldered tunes but current dealers dont have the equipment anymore
    Revo - they could possibly help as they did flash their cars , but , they only ever did a stage 1 tune for the mk4
    LM tuning - no , just no
    Quattro motorsport - can do it , but I gave up after asking for 9 months
    Etuners - maybe , possibly , but not right now

My personal opinion - convert it to DBW and wideband and run a Haltech ECU
    Thanks Seb this has been informative.

So you would actually suggest haltech ecu over using a DBW oem ecu from Audi TT.... is this from a ongoing support perspective?

Haltech would cost thousands tho, perhaps 3.5k after factoring in components, Dyno time, etc. I think all he wants is a stage 1 tune...

JBS in the UK do custom code tunes, same ones Gav supplied for years to 1.8t owners here on the forums, bench flashed. If all he wants is stage 1 with no plans of going BT. Maybe they send the ecu via post to the UK and vice versa, that would be perhaps $900 all up.
    Last edited by Sirocco20348; 02-10-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Just to make it simple , look at it this way . What computer were you using when the TT came out . Imagine using that computer today .
    The Haltech will have so much more functions available , at a greater speed and will be easier to tune . You can have multiple maps , no lift shift , traction control , launch control , 2 step , you can even run it on E-85 without switching maps . The driveablility , fuel consumption etc will all be better .
    Bug_racer supports the rebellion of the euro revolution

Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    Ok so far your track record of 'assumptions' in this thread has been below average... E.g not able to flash tune a me3.8.

Yes the me3.8 is an old ecu with minimal support in Australia.

I gave a list of potential tuners that possibly might be able to flash. GIAC still list the me3.8 ecu on their website for stage 1 tune... and apparently they have 2 reps in Australia!

Thanks for your out of date assumptions.

Perhaps you can put down the newspaper now and catch up with the rest of us in this thread.

Thanks Hayden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well that escalated quickly.....

Thanks guys for all your input, i am not really after a 1000bhp popping banging launch rocket so can not justify standalone ECU. Just going for a more reliable than the Kjet with a bit more poke.
    Looks like i will send to the uk for a bench flash

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirocco20348 View Post
    Thanks Seb this has been informative.

So you would actually suggest haltech ecu over using a DBW oem ecu from Audi TT.... is this from a ongoing support perspective?

Haltech would cost thousands tho, perhaps 3.5k after factoring in components, Dyno time, etc. I think all he wants is a stage 1 tune...

JBS in the UK do custom code tunes, same ones Gav supplied for years to 1.8t owners here on the forums, bench flashed. If all he wants is stage 1 with no plans of going BT. Maybe they send the ecu via post to the UK and vice versa, that would be perhaps $900 all up.
    Well just spoke with JBS, they no longer offer that service, waiting on custom code Australia and GIAC. There is an Ebay guy in the uk but there are no online reviews on his work so a bit sus about that one

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ratstylz View Post
    Well just spoke with JBS, they no longer offer that service, waiting on custom code Australia and GIAC. There is an Ebay guy in the uk but there are no online reviews on his work so a bit sus about that one
    Ok no problems, I have messaged some people on nefmoto forums. There are people on there that can do it, ecu might have to go to far away lands tho haha

Btw customcode Australia have replied in this thread saying they don't do mk4s anymore.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast