DNA Tuning (Australia)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Superchip on GTI Mk6 DSG

Superchip on GTI Mk6 DSG

After having the APR Stage 1 on my Polo GTI, then buying a Mk6 Golf GTI it was only a matter of time before I caught ecu-flash-itis.

But $1500 for the APR flash for a Golf, even with all the extras was a bit much to bear, especially when the stock GTI goes so well. In the end I decided I would have a go with the Superchips/Bluefin, for half the cost of the APR flash in Australia (in the US the 4 program APR from ECS Tuning is around $650 AU, so something funny going on there)

There were some minor issues getting the software installed on my PC - but easily solved. In addition, when I tried to plug the blue fin into the OBD port in the car it was not making a proper connection, because every time I tried to push the connector on, the receptacle went back up under the dash. So I had to push it up fully under the dash so it came out of the holder, and it was easy to make the connection then. Once plugged in and running it took about 20 minutes to load from the car, 10 minutes to upload to their web site, and the new image was ready almost straight away. Another 10 minutes to load the new image on the car and away I went. No problems with encryption on mine, which is a Jan 2011 build.

The APR on my Polo GTI 1.8T made the car a bit tricky to drive sometimes (manual). The Superchips map for the GTI Golf seems to work well with the DSG - first time out was a bit of a worry though, hit 130 before I even realised, and the tacho went to 8k RPM....

Quote Originally Posted by kevvie View Post
    in the US the 4 program APR from ECS Tuning is around $650 AU, so something funny going on there
    it must be something to do with the cost of shipping or something.....

glad you like your new tune!

Users Country Flag
    eeeeeeeeexcellent....

I am getting my Bluefin unit shipped to me as we speak.
    Love reading this!
    T Go
    MY11.5 Golf GTI | Bluefin Stage 2 | Pipercross Stage 2 Intake Pipe | AFE Pro 5R Filter | SPM Downpipe | VWR Sport Springs | H&R 22mm RSB | R LED Tail Lights

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller_Scott View Post
    it must be something to do with the cost of shipping or something.....
    glad you like your new tune!
    I will delete anything that has a reference to the price of APR in Australia, if I see fit to do so. I posted the link as it's the latest one I have read about the subject, not to invite further discussion.

ecu tune question - Page 4 - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

Users Country Flag
    Good to hear the Bluefin worked well. I'm still schooling myself on APR vs GIAC vs Bluefin/Superchips (which are the 3 options I'm considering). The more I read, the more I confuse myself. Until then I'm sitting on the fence about all 3.

/Tough decision is tough!

//And don't get me started on the whole "for ultimate gains go a custom tune" thing. Too many options!
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    I will delete anything that has a reference to the price of APR in Australia, if I see fit to do so. I posted the link as it's the latest one I have read about the subject, not to invite further discussion.

ecu tune question - Page 4 - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com
    fair call, and thanks very much for the link - interesting back'n'forths going on!

Users Country Flag
    Had APR in my Jetta, drove a same spec vehicle with Bluefin....... same performance for almost a 1/3rd the price.... both great products.... it comes down to the individual and his/her circumstance and funding....
    Tiggy 125TSI, 6 speed manual, tints, comfort pack.

Just flashed a Bluefin on my MkV GTI, very happy with the results and even more so when I remember the price of a Bluefin in comparison!
    07 GTI DSG | Black | 3dr | Sunroof

Just ordered mine as well and its on its way!!.... can't wait!!!!!

Next upgrade... cold air intake....

Update after a few weeks...

Getting used to it now, to be honest this does not "transform" the Golf GTI the same way the APR did on my 1.8T Polo. But definitely worthwhile doing.

And I am definitely using more fuel, even when driven gently. There is a standard freeway run I do where I could get down to 6.5l/100km with standard tune. Post Superchips upgrade I am lucky to get under 8.0l/100km. Them's the breaks I guess...

*** Update *** Another 2 weeks on and fuel economy seems to have improved. I did the freeway run 2 days ago and got 5.9l/100km - so it's now better than original
    Last edited by kevvie; 11-11-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Update on original post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast