Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stage 3 questions

Stage 3 questions

Hey guys,

I currently have a Stage 2+ APR MK6 R and will be getting a bigger turbo as soon as I can figure out which way to go. Current list of parts are as follows:

APR HPFP
    APR LPFP
    Armytrix Turbo back
    APR Front mount
    APR Runner flap delete
    VWR Intake
    034 dogbone insert

I know the LPFP is wasted on Stage 2 as APR dont offer a file for it but after speaking with them directly they have advised its a good way to go in prep for Stage 3. Now obviously the APR kit would be the safest option as it should just bolt straight on and the upgrade to the tune wont cost a lot. HOWEVER, at around 10k I am finding it really hard to justify considering the amount of options out there for bolt on turbo upgrades at around half the price.

My question is for people who have gone down this path or know a bit about it, am I now tied into APR due to parts list I have or can I buy a GTX2867r bolt on kit elsewhere and have it matched to the APR tune. Or have a custom set up installed with a custom tune?

I am looking to get solid 450-500hp at the engine on my unopened engine. I am prepared to build it when it expires but thats not part of my plan at this point in time.

Any info would be great guys. I have spoken to a couple of people who have gone Stage 3 but I am after as much information as I can get. There does not seem to be a lot of shops around that have experience with these builds.

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    i had exactly the same scenario, same mods and was chasing the same power...

as far as i know APR now produces a tune for the TTE420 hybrid turbo but don't quote me on this. although i did read it on the internet at audisport.net so it must be true...

dsg or manual is something that will be very relevant....

good luck mate and interested to see how you go...
    Last edited by guile; 25-07-2016 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    i had exactly the same scenario, same mods and was chasing the same power...

as far as i know APR now produces a tune for the TTE420 hybrid turbo but don't quote me on this. although i did read it on the internet at audisport.net so it must be true...

dsg or manual is something that will be very relevant....

good luck mate and interested to see how you go...
    Hey mate thanks for the reply!

I believe they do offer that setup on their website which is probably why the new APR replacement OEM+ will be offering a stage 3 kit with that turbo.

I run a DSG and have the stage 2 tune already installed. I think if I went the TTE or and ATP 2867 equivalent I would throw in the APR DSG clutch pack with the money saved.

Users Country Flag
    APR do offer the TTE420 for the MK6 Golf R:
    APR’s TTE420 Turbo ECU Upgrade for K04 equipped 2.0T vehicles!

I don't personally see the appeal of it though, apart from it being cheaper. The TTE420 is actually the K04, which is then modified to be better.
    You're giving up 50hp+ over the GTX2867R turbo though.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey_R View Post
    APR do offer the TTE420 for the MK6 Golf R:
    APR’s TTE420 Turbo ECU Upgrade for K04 equipped 2.0T vehicles!

I don't personally see the appeal of it though, apart from it being cheaper. The TTE420 is actually the K04, which is then modified to be better.
    You're giving up 50hp+ over the GTX2867R turbo though.

I was thinking something like this.

450HP - GTX2867R Stock Location Turbo & Manifold for 2.0T FSI / TSI Models : atpturbo.com

Would that bolt up to my current set up and work with the APR LPFP if I had it custom tuned or stay with APR Stage 3 software?

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
    Hey mate thanks for the reply!

I believe they do offer that setup on their website which is probably why the new APR replacement OEM+ will be offering a stage 3 kit with that turbo.
    Just to clarify, OEM+ is only an "APR replacement", same as any other tune. Guy Harding had national distribution rights for APR. Without getting political, APR US changed the distribution rights so that the APR dealers purchase the tunes/files direct from APR US, cutting out Guy.

As a result, Guy/Harding Performance no longer represents APR. His new software/product line is OEM+.

OEM+ is not APR in any way, and vice versa, different brands, likewise with any tuner.
    Last edited by seangti; 26-07-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Users Country Flag
    Personally the TTE420 would be a good upgrade for a GTI, but with the R's extra weight, the k04 just doesnt cut it (in my opinion). If you are going to that expense and level of modification, you want the Garrett GTX2876 at a minimum. Borg Warner also make some nice twin scroll turbos but they are more expensive - but the Garrett is well proven and affordable. A local company, Tarmac Engineering make a bolt on kit using the Garrett turbo and can also supply a tune to suit. APR are not at all flexible (and are very expensive) so you might need to scrap them.

The problem with ATP products is that they are made for the US market, and many of the manifolds/turbos/pipework have clearance issues on Aussie delivered cars due to left hand drive vs right hand drive. The guys at Tarmac Engineering went to great lengths to make a true bolt on kit for Aussie cars.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 26-07-2016 at 10:45 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks Lucas thats awesome info!

I know there would be no harm at all going with APR but its such a huge outlay of cash which is already adding up and more importantly I am then locked down to APR and will have to roll it all back if I wanted to use a bigger turbo or custom bits.

Ill have a look at Tarmac. Only being Stage 2+ so far means I still have a few options with big turbo and tunes if I dont stay with APR but maybe have to scrap the LPFP

Users Country Flag
    i agree a lot more options are available now then when i went with the tte420. the reason i chose it was that i didn't want to outlay the cash for apr and wanted to stay internally gated...

is the tte the greatest upgrade in power, probably not. does it put a smile on your face over stage 2+, definitely...

good info on here and good luck with whatever you choose but like Lucas i'm was very weary about US based kits after reading about numerous fitment issues. as my car is a daily driver my criteria was increased power without any substitution in reliability...

Check out Underground Performance for tuning. I think they are Melbourne based, you can find em on facebook. I'm sure it's a member on here, but who exactly it is evades me at the moment. They do custom tuning, so run whatever you like.

Not sure what Custom Code's capability. Worth a msg to Gavin, H100vw.
    Last edited by seangti; 28-07-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    Track Car: 06 Polo GTI Red Devil mkII
    Daily: 2010 VW Jetta Highline
    Gone but not forgotten: 08 Polo GTI
    ** All information I provide is probably incorrect until validated by someone else **

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast