DNA Tuning (Australia)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: Tuning in Brisbane

Re: Tuning in Brisbane

Hey all,

looking at getting a APR tune done in Brisbane (Open to other suggestions) on my missus 132 Tiguan TSI and my TSI Amarok. Was wondering if anyone knows of anyone around Brisbane doing these at a decent price.....I see people have said price varies from $800-$1400 for the flash. Both quotes I've had are $1200 and its a flash only. By this I mean, check the car, flash the ECU, drive the car and scan and that's it.....no post Dyno run to check everything is ok....This is all well and find, but if I can get it done for $800 instead of 1200....I'll put the extra cash elsewhere.

As I said above, I am open to other tunes, I recall GIAC was always pretty well spoken of....

Cheers

Coxy
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

Users Country Flag
    i'm not sure where you have had quotes from already mate but i got my apr tune from prestige and performance at coorparoo and i was happy with the level of service...

Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    i'm not sure where you have had quotes from already mate but i got my apr tune from prestige and performance at coorparoo and i was happy with the level of service...
    Hey man,

Yeah they were one of the ones I've spoken too. The thing I don't like now days, is that it's a flash, drive, quick check and that's it....for $1200. If it were going onto a dyne to ensure everything was right I'd have no issues, but $1200 for a flash is a little crazy to me. I know "Developers" have spent money developing these things but it still should be done right.

If nothing else comes back, I think I'll be heading over to these guys, but it seems to have all changed quite a bit from when I was playing with cars a few years ago.....must be getting old
    Coxy
    "Some people dream of achieving greatness, other people get out of bed and do it"

Users Country Flag
    I have a RacingLine tune on my TT from Harding Performance at Coorparoo, had no issues and performance gains are very good but pricing is the same as APR
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchyratface View Post
    I have a RacingLine tune on my TT from Harding Performance at Coorparoo, had no issues and performance gains are very good but pricing is the same as APR
    Thanks for the tip, I might give Guy a call today and have a chat with him.
    Coxy

Users Country Flag
    If you are hell bent on getting APR then unless you have plenty of disposable income I would suggest waiting for one of their 10-15% off sales that they do several times a year. There should be one leading up to Christmas and they normally do one at the end of financial year.

Other options in Brisbane are Tarmac Engineering who offer tunes for the MK2 Tiguan, but with the Amarok they only have the TDI listed...although im sure they could do the TSI as well.

Mk2 Tiguan ECU Tune - Tarmac Engineering
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Unfortunately, only APR has a tune available for the TSI Amarok. None of the other tuners in Oz have actually done any with a reasonable result as far as I know.

The TSI Amarok runs a version of the MK6 GTI engine, but has a different turbo and a different exhaust cam, so it is unique and no GTI tune will work (Incidentally due to those differences a stage 1 tuned TSI Amarok makes more power than a Stg 1 tuned MK6 GTI) APR spent over a 100 dyno runs working on the TSI Amarok to get a workable tune and in my view nobody else will get close to that, given they really only want to spend a small amount of time. Any more is uneconomical to the tuner.

Also, for the 132TSI Mk1 Tiguan, again there is only 1 proven tune that works well (APR). Lots of people in the MK1 Tiguan section tried other tunes and none had the same result as the APR tune. For a Mk2, things have improved and I'd recommend talking to Guy or any of the other tuners out there.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 22-10-2019 at 09:11 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    i know apr tunes are expensive and i never thought i'd run one on my car as i really wanted to support the underdogs. however apr is the second tune i've had with my current hardware and is far better than the previous tune...

basically you get what you pay for and it could be false economy to get something cheaper and potentially not as good performance. i learnt the hard way and bought twice although the apr tte420 i now have was in development at the time so that had an effect on my original decision...

Re: Tuning in Brisbane

I think you’ll find most places are flash, test drive with logging and off you go. There’s not a great deal of difference with standard hardware stage1/2.

You’re more likely to get a dyno with Tarmac or Harding if you asked.

TSI Amarok is a bit of a unique one as not many were sold/delivered so not many would have done development on it. I’d probably go with APR on this just because they’ve done the work.

On the Tiguan there’s other options out there and they will all be around the same output. There’s decent gains in drive ability with a DSG tune (if you have it). Some tuners will bundle the DSG with ECU for a better deal. You can sometimes pick up both for $1500 if you’re lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If you are hell bent on getting APR then unless you have plenty of disposable income I would suggest waiting for one of their 10-15% off sales that they do several times a year. There should be one leading up to Christmas and they normally do one at the end of financial year.

Other options in Brisbane are Tarmac Engineering who offer tunes for the MK2 Tiguan, but with the Amarok they only have the TDI listed...although im sure they could do the TSI as well.

Mk2 Tiguan ECU Tune - Tarmac Engineering
    Thanks bud, I'll have a look at that, hadn't heard about Tarmac before. Cheers bud

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Unfortunately, only APR has a tune available for the TSI Amarok. None of the other tuners in Oz have actually done any with a reasonable result as far as I know.

The TSI Amarok runs a version of the MK6 GTI engine, but has a different turbo and a different exhaust cam, so it is unique and no GTI tune will work (Incidentally due to those differences a stage 1 tuned TSI Amarok makes more power than a Stg 1 tuned MK6 GTI) APR spent over a 100 dyno runs working on the TSI Amarok to get a workable tune and in my view nobody else will get close to that, given they really only want to spend a small amount of time. Any more is uneconomical to the tuner.

Also, for the 132TSI Mk1 Tiguan, again there is only 1 proven tune that works well (APR). Lots of people in the MK1 Tiguan section tried other tunes and none had the same result as the APR tune. For a Mk2, things have improved and I'd recommend talking to Guy or any of the other tuners out there.
    Do you know what vehicle they used for testing Sharkie =P

Thing that worries me, is the Dyno run.....I think you had your new Coils in when you started playing didn't you? I think you mentioned in one of your posts how two identical motors could be different in some way which is why you'd do the dyne run to check, I just want to get the thing done right so I don't damage anything in the process.....Had a bad experience on my Abarth 500 where it was a flash in and off you go.....I took it off to a dyno for a check and found bad detonation was occurring from about 4500-redline.

I didn't think Guy was doing APR any more?

Quote Originally Posted by guile View Post
    i know apr tunes are expensive and i never thought i'd run one on my car as i really wanted to support the underdogs. however apr is the second tune i've had with my current hardware and is far better than the previous tune...

basically you get what you pay for and it could be false economy to get something cheaper and potentially not as good performance. i learnt the hard way and bought twice although the apr tte420 i now have was in development at the time so that had an effect on my original decision...
    I don't have an issue with paying the dollars for quality as I have heard lots of people say the same thing you've said, APR is miles ahead of the pack.....but what I wanted to know is if there was someone cheaper in Brisbane who could do the work (IE doing it for $800 instead of $1200). I'll keep an eye out for the specials that come up, that may be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I think you’ll find most places are flash, test drive with logging and off you go. There’s not a great deal of difference with standard hardware stage1/2.

You’re more likely to get a dyno with Tarmac or Harding if you asked.

TSI Amarok is a bit of a unique one as not many were sold/delivered so not many would have done development on it. I’d probably go with APR on this just because they’ve done the work.

On the Tiguan there’s other options out there and they will all be around the same output. There’s decent gains in drive ability with a DSG tune (if you have it). Some tuners will bundle the DSG with ECU for a better deal. You can sometimes pick up both for $1500 if you’re lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think the missus is too stressed about the DSG tune, but to be honest, I'd forgotten about that. Does it make a difference? or does it just make it quicker shifts and more efficient?
    Coxy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast