Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor driveability apr stage 2 tune mk6 gti

Users Country Flag

Poor driveability apr stage 2 tune mk6 gti

Hey,

Ive had the stage 2 tune for several weeks now and driving it smoothly without wheel spin in the wet is tricky.

Does everyone have a tune where anything more than 5% throttle builds 80% boost duty cycle?

I am used to tuned cars which required 80% or more throttle position to push the turbo to over the wastegate spring pressure.

I can imagine that lots of people like the engine response with minimal throttle inputs but this is borderline stupid.

Yes I have good road tyres, ps4 michelins.

I have emailed apr...Ill be surprised if they reply. Does anyone have experience with the issue or can recommend another stage 2 tune with better throttle input modulation?

Thanks.

Yes I think you'll find it's a "typical" APR tune. They hit the boost hard and then tails off at higher RPM.

One thing that APR doesn't offer is custom tuning so you get the same stage 2 file as every other Mk6 GTI.

Not sure who to recommend in Newcastle but there's probably a few options in Sydney.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Maybe try the VWRacing Line tune.I have it on my Rocco(st 2) and first and second gear is not so aggressive but third is just torque city.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Quote Originally Posted by ianr View Post
    Hey,

Ive had the stage 2 tune for several weeks now and driving it smoothly without wheel spin in the wet is tricky.

Does everyone have a tune where anything more than 5% throttle builds 80% boost duty cycle?

I am used to tuned cars which required 80% or more throttle position to push the turbo to over the wastegate spring pressure.

I can imagine that lots of people like the engine response with minimal throttle inputs but this is borderline stupid.

I have emailed apr...Ill be surprised if they reply. Does anyone have experience with the issue or can recommend another stage 2 tune with better throttle input modulation?

Thanks.
    If you don't have one already, a mechanical limited slip diff will help driveability a lot in the dry for FWD cars running over 170kW. Much better than the ESP bulls#^t the golf has. In the wet you basically have to drive a gear higher or get a different map.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks tigger73 it might be well worth the drive down.

Quote Originally Posted by aprr32 View Post
    Maybe try the VWRacing Line tune.I have it on my Rocco(st 2) and first and second gear is not so aggressive but third is just torque city.
    That sounds like a possible way to do it, can I ask how hard the turbo builds boost on 10-20% throttle position?

Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    If you don't have one already, a mechanical limited slip diff will help driveability a lot in the dry for FWD cars running over 170kW. Much better than the ESP bulls#^t the golf has. In the wet you basically have to drive a gear higher or get a different map.
    Yes good point, I have put in a single mass hd clutch from extreme and a mfactory helical diff last month...made a very positive. Now the extra vibrations in the drivetrain/engine bay at 2000rpm are keeping me busy hunting down each possible vibration.

That sounds like a possible way to do it, can I ask how hard the turbo builds boost on 10-20% throttle position?
    Depends on load and temp but when you get wheel spin the boost falls off.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Users Country Flag
    Hey,

Thanks.
    I had DNA Tuning stage 2 tune on my Mk6 GTI. Car was manual and i never had a single issue like you have described...was easy to drive in the wet. My wife drove it often and never had an issue either. Low throttle input, partial throttle input - always smooth.

See dyno graph here of my stage 2 tune from Newcastle Dyno Centre so you can see how the power comes on:

Link to the build thread if you are interested (i have since sold the car about a year ago): My other German fling: Mk6 GTI

If you are not happy with the APR tune and you want to change to something else, go see Pete at Newcastle VW Centre at Wickham - he is a dealer for the VWRacing Line tunes.

Otherwise i would recommend getting in touch with John from DNA Tuning. Their tunes cost around $900. He used to offer a 7 day satisfaction guarantee on the tune so you can try it for 7 days and if you are not happy get your money back. Only downside with the DNA tune on the MK6 GTI (because the ECU is encrypted) is that you need to remove the ECU from the car and send it to him to be tuned because he is based in Melbourne. This may no longer be the case in 2018, but when i had my Mk6 GTI tuned back in early 2014 i had to remove the ECU and send it to him.

I've had 2x of my own VAG cars and 2-3 of my friends/families VAG cars tuned with DNA Tuning and never had an issue.

DNA Tuning Australia
    Melbourne South Eastern Suburbs
    Victoria 3150

T: 0403191338
    E: info@dnatuning.com

Software Archive – DNA Tuning
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 04-07-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Users Country Flag

my previous car had an APR Stg 2+ tune with no issues of power delivery.
    it was a mk2 Octavia RS, which has the same engine and tranmission (in my case DSG-6) as the mk6 GTi. combined with an apr full 3" rsc exhaust and dsg tune

launch controls were fun.
    and i was able to get 6 secs to a 100km/h quite often.
    nor was i getting axle-tramps due to the control used.

had it at stg 2 for 3+ years with no issues.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast