Support VWWC

Thread: Mk7 GTI PP Tune Characteristics

Users Country Flag

Mk7 GTI PP Tune Characteristics

Hi All,

Major petrol head, car forum devotee, and long time lover of Hot Hatches right here. Lurking this forum for a long time but haven't really had a specific need for information or assistance till now. I've got a Mk5 for which I need to do some long coding (see post here asking for help). If anyone in the Melbourne South East area has a cable they'd be willing to PLEASE let me use for a few hours so that I can code a new CANBUS, that would be greatly appreciated!

Back to the original topic: I'm soon to be taking delivery of a Mk7 performance pack GTI. I love being out on the track driving and already can't wait to put the diff and brakes to the test around some proper twisties! That being said, I find the EA888 engine to be somewhat flat, and ever since the modding bug bit in my Mk2 GTI I've pretty much never had a stock car. I'm considering my options for stage 1.

Having had full on management systems, piggy backs, and flash tunes previously, I'm hyper aware of the characteristics of each option and different tunes. I'm looking at getting a flash and after speaking to a few other tuners I won't go for the DSG flash at this stage. I'm looking for something that is easily switchable back to stock, it must have a power delivery that is linear and similar enough to stock that my wife can drive the car. It must not be overly expensive, and must give the possibility to go to stage 2 without it being a lot of effort or cost.

APR: I've been in an APR stage 1 GTI and it's great but I find it comes on too strong too early for my liking.
    REVO: I've owned 3 VAG cars with Revo and it's very punchy and I like most importantly how progressive it is when it builds boost, but at AU$1,500 for the stage 1 engine tune, and with 2 growing kids at home, I find it to be quite expensive... plus the SPS switch is another $150+
    SUPERCHIPS BLUEFIN: I overlaid the graphs (I'm a data analyst) and the stage 1 graph actually looks very similar to that of Revo, and has a very comparable total surface area. At AU$750, its friendlier on the wallet, has good reviews on the GTI forums and Facebook pages, and the plus for me is it leaves some budget for a downpipe (no interest in doing intake).
    UNITRONIC: Mate of mine also with a MK7 has Unitronic Stage 1, and I find it to be quite a mild tune. Significant difference over stock, but I feel like it would leave me wanting. I like the idea that they've got supporting bolt ons tried and tested with the software which is a big plus. Also circa AU$1,000 though.

CUSTOM: My Cup Megane had a custom RS Tuner tune and it flew. Spoke to UGP but again at $1,000 for a custom map, it's appealing, but can't switch back to stock unless I go into their workshop which will be annoying.

I know these sort of topics get discussed to death and I've done a lot of search and research, but I really want to know specifically how you would describe the characteristics between the flashes that you've had or experienced? The only one option from the above haven't experienced, is the one I'm most interested in hearing about from the masses, and that is the Superchips option. Have you tried it and how did you find living with it on a daily basis? Should it be considered a negative that they don't (as far as I know) support DSG flashes like the other ones listed above?

​Thanks in advance.

Wazza

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like you need to also consider the Burger Motorsports JB1 or JB4. These can be installed or removed in approx 15-20mins. It gives a nice bump in power and torque and gives about 70-80% of the benefits of other brands stage 1 tunes in terms of power gains.

Quite a few people on this forum are using them (as well as around the world).

Burger Motorsport JB1 Tune – VW / Audi / Skoda – EA888 – AutoInstruct

Burger Motorsports JB4 Performance Tune VW / Audi / Skoda – AutoInstruct
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Once you have a tune on you will never switch back to stock.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.

Users Country Flag
    if you follow the revo aus page on fb they regularly have sales on the tune... i had my rs245 octavia done recently when they had their 30% off special
    Polo GTI
    T-Roc R
    Tiguan R

Users Country Flag
    Some good info. Thanks. I will take this into consideration for my first tune.

Users Country Flag
    For reference, I just recently tuned my Mk7 GTI PP stage 1 and went with Integrated Engineering as I like the DIY-ability of being able to load the tune on myself at my convenience and it also allows me to upload a DSG tune (or stage 2 etc) which I will more than likely do in the next month or two also. The IE tunes were also on special at the time of purchasing so that helped sway my decision too.

Because I do not yet have a DSG tune, Integrated Engineering recommend only using the low torque stage 1 tune at this stage so that is what I loaded on. There is a definite nice increase in kw and torque from about 2,500rpm right through the rev range where the original tune was quite flat and died off up top. The car feels a fair bit quicker now and its much more enjoyable to drive now. As mentioned, I will more than likely get the DSG tune in the next month or two and then I can load on the high torque version of the stage 1 tune, so it will be interesting to feel what the difference is.

I have previously dyno'd my VW's before and after tuning so may do a low torque stage 1 vs high torque stage 1 dyno to see the difference and make sure afr's etc are nice and safe.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I went with IE on my 2.0tsi '15 Tiguan. Very happy with stage 1 95/98ron tunes, and recently installed a DP & flashed to Stage2. Super quick on boost, nice & docile with minimum fuel usage off boost. Ability to flash tune it yourself is a key feature in my eyes.

Users Country Flag
    3BAR PERFORMANCE CAR TUNING

This guy does a lot of VW/skoda/audi. Price is quite good. He can do remote and does do tuning trips when travel is allowed.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Engineered Performance - Tarmac Engineering

Tarmac engineering do a great tune, I've had this on for the last year or so and very happy (Mk7 PP). Comes with hand flashing unit to install/upgrade as required. Much more power than stock, with smooth power delivery and stock driveability.