Thread: YOUTUNE Diesel Performance Chip

YOUTUNE Diesel Performance Chip

Hello all, I have just bought A YOUTUNE Diesel Performance Chip for my MK5 2.0 TDI Golf. I tried to fit it but I was unable to locate the correct 2 plug sockets to connect the chip.The fitting instructions were not at all helpful as they did not show the Golf engine bay and where the connectors were located. Can any one e-mail a photo showing the location of the connectors please. Thanks in advance, Dennis. my e- mail address: vtec1100@activ8.net.au

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

YouTune: Diesel Performance Enhancing Chip

I hope you didn't pay much for it...
    MKV Golf 2.0 TDI DSG Sportline. Just nice.

Quote Originally Posted by stickshift3000 View Post
    Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?

YouTune: Diesel Performance Enhancing Chip

I hope you didn't pay much for it...
    Heh, 'interesting' website, has pictures on there where to install, interested to see if this thing actually makes a difference :S
    The ABN is registered to: Oasis Airconditioning
    :O

hmmm not to rain on your parade but they're quoting a 30kw power increase for the polo 1.6tdi...

given that the car has a dpf, i'm a little skeptical that a tuning box (as opposed to a proper remap) would be able to achieve that.

post the same question in the diesels section, with a pic of your engine bay (well lit, of course), and see what the gurus in there say you need to unplug etc....

good luck with it all!

Users Country Flag
    I would return it straight back. Here's a general idea why:
    Custom Tuning Myths and Facts | Malone Tuning Ltd.

It's not much more than just a resistor, you can get $20 ones off ebay but those might "overskew" the ECU signal and cause ECU damage where these ones are more controlled. Instead of "multiply ECU signal by 1.5" these might offer a non-linear boost to the ECU signal depending on how much is coming through the ECU, but that's about all the difference (1.2 if signal > X, 1.3 if signal > Y). Definitely not a good idea if you care about your car, especially if you have a DPF...

Rest assured, ALL these units can possibly do is increase fuel and boost requested by the ECU. And since it tricks the ECU signal to achieve this, if you are overfuelling or overboosting the ECU will have no idea until something goes broken. You won't see any of the extra soot coming out if you have a DPF either, but your DPF would sure know it...
    Last edited by DkN; 03-10-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Agreed, cr@pola unit.

Quote Originally Posted by DkN View Post
    Rest assured, ALL these units can possibly do is increase fuel and boost requested by the ECU. And since it tricks the ECU signal to achieve this
    Can they really alter boost levels? Which ecu parameter/s would it fool to do this?

I was under the impression that boost wasn't altered by any ecu parameters, and never varies given myriad of operating conditions.

I thought they only increase power by injecting more fuel.
    MKV Golf 2.0 TDI DSG Sportline. Just nice.

Users Country Flag
    They can plug in to all sorts of places, really depends on what they are intercepting, and tricking. I've no knowledge of tuning boxes as they are indeed a crude improvement at best. That said, bang for buck, if done well, they are good things, and not all of them are a simple fuel resistor either lads, I've seen inside one mainline brand, and it was quite complex, with several processers ( albeit simple ones ).

Contact the manufacturer, and google the unit and look for forum posts, especially in the UK. Those guys are light years ahead of us in respect to diesel tuning, and I learn a lot from the UK forums.

All that said, back in the day I put an ebay resistor on my ex's PT cruiser and the power result was very noticable!
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Buller_Scott View Post
    hmmm not to rain on your parade but they're quoting a 30kw power increase for the polo 1.6tdi...

given that the car has a dpf, i'm a little skeptical that a tuning box (as opposed to a proper remap) would be able to achieve that.
    Given that the 6R TDi has been detuned quite a lot, almost certainly to protect the DPF, I'd say that power boost was possible. It will also probably kill the DPF in short order (and cause frequent regens before that) due to the overfuelling that these things tend to cause.

MkV Golf would be OK but I seriously doubt the "no black smoke" claim.
    Last edited by kaanage; 05-10-2011 at 06:08 AM.