DNA Tuning (Australia)

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The great big MK6 Golf 118TSI tuning thread

Users Country Flag

The great big MK6 Golf 118TSI tuning thread

After much slinking across parts makers, forums and many other places I thought just maybe it was time to start my own thread and try to amalgamate what information is available specifically for the 118TSI Golf Mk6.
    During my travels I have discovered BUCKETS of information on the GTI, but not much else. One of the other problems seems to be that the US and UK markets do not get a MK6 1.4 118TSI like we do here. Yes there is the Scirocco, but what parts will fit our cars is another question altogether (or what might be able to be modified to fit).

I have ordered a Forge Intake from Ian over at Rennenhaus which apparently fits without the removal of the engine cover. I should get it shortly so can confirm, it's listed on the invoice as FMIND14 | Forge Intake - MK6, 1.4 t/c

I'm on the hunt for an intercooler, down pipe and well... anything else that might be an option really. I'm looking forward to hearing from the tuner companies as well as individuals who have tried and tested some parts

(I might even update this post with parts and links if people can supply them as they go).
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 04-02-2012 at 08:59 AM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Great to see this thread starting and am looking forward to seeing what everyone else has tracked down.

In terms of what I've put into my car I grabbed a Forge intake for Ian at Rennhaus back in early December and love it to bits. Gives a nice healthy sound across the whole rev range.

It does sit fine without removing the engine cover, however I have found that the hose that used to sit in a holder above the OEM scoop for the air intake can rub on the edge of the engine cover if the hose travels in front of the new carbon filter housing. Since then have just wrapped any potential contact points with a bit of electrical tape and put it behind the filter housing and cant see any kinks etc and all seems to be fine.

Alternatively you could look at shaving a little bit of the engine cover off and I wouldn't see this problem occurring.

In terms of other parts that can go in, another member on here Brendan A has installed a S3 intercooler which seems to go in with only trimming of the OEM hoses needed. From memory I think he grabbed his from ECS tuning.

As well as this if you went with a manual their is a short shifter option from dieselGeek located here.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/VW_six_spe.../ss-sigma6.htm

On another note does anyone know if the APR tune for the 118TSI has been revised since the end of June last year?
    Last edited by bugsalanko; 04-02-2012 at 09:58 AM.
    Golf MK VI Silverleaf 118TSI
    Installed
    |APR Stage 1 |MDI| RNS 510| K&N 57S series Intake|Golf R32 Pedals| | Audi S3 Intercooler | Detroits|

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ooooohhhhh... a short shifter. I had the diesel geek in the Mk3 and it was awesome. Maybe something else to add to my list of upgrades (I notice our very own Greg Roles seems to import them so I will have to send him a PM).

As for the intercooler, there is an APR one that apparently fits with minor mods, the Forge twintercooler apparently can also fit with minor mods, although I am yet to have a confirmation on either. The S3 unit sounds like a reasonable option, more stealth install too, although personally I don't mind the look of big arse intercooler in the front bar.

So much for the car I wasn't going to mod...

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by bugsalanko View Post

On another note does anyone know if the APR tune for the 118TSI has been revised since the end of June last year?
    There was a revise tune put out around October. But depending on what fuel system your car has determines whether it can be used. I was lucky on my car and had it updated in November The mid range is so much stronger now!

I'm looking forward to seeing how APR new hybrid turbo goes on the twincharge.
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR
    MY20.5 LR Defender P400 HSE

Users Country Flag
    Thanks to The_Hawk for starting a thread for the 118TSI. My car is stock at the moment and looking to get a tune for it.

Thanks for making the thread.

I was told by Guy_H that for old 118's you can purchase the new fuel pump if needed so you can get the upgraded ECU software from APR. I've also been keeping an eye on the various Poli GTI tuning discussions as they have the same engine (albeit a slightly different engine bay configuration).

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...tml#post771979

Polo GTI APR ECU Upgrade - Page 33

The Polo 6R Intercooler won't fit in the MK6 chassis. Completely different.
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR

That's correct - we need the APR Golf GTI with a few mods to the connections.

I'm running an S3 cooler with only having to trim the OEM hoses. Much cheaper option than the APR cooler.
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR

Oh cool - got any details (performance/price comparisons, where to buy, who will install, etc)?

Page 1 of 47 12311 ... LastLast