Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The great big MK6 Golf 118TSI tuning thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Oh cool - got any details (performance/price comparisons, where to buy, who will install, etc)?
    Volkswagen Golf VI 2.0T > Engine > Intercooler > ES#9949 European S3 Intercooler - 1K0145803P

I bought mine from ECS tuning last year. I paid $580US shipped. I had my local APR dealer do the install. Takes about 3hrs to do the job. Front end has to come off! The cooler made a huge difference in the hot weather, holds boost much longer and very little heat soak. On a cold morning/night the thing just flies.

If your interested in one the Aussie dollar is great. Better than when i purchased.
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR
    MY20.5 LR Defender P400 HSE

Darn - it was easy to not be tempted with the APR one when I saw its price, but this might be harder to ignore.

What impact does the S3 IC have on the cars sound? Does it stand out as more hoon-ish or is it still a sleeper? A Youtube video would be great as well if possible.

No change to the sound at all. Still looks like a sleeper but my car sounds more hoon-ish with the cat back and Forge CAI when I want it to be. When driven sensibly it sounds just perfect. I had new suspension installed on Friday and my car is the perfect package to me now.
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR

Users Country Flag
    Intercooler will make absolutely no difference to the sound Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    Darn - it was easy to not be tempted with the APR one when I saw its price, but this might be harder to ignore.

What impact does the S3 IC have on the cars sound? Does it stand out as more hoon-ish or is it still a sleeper? A Youtube video would be great as well if possible.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys,

Was thinking of getting the APR stage 1 tune for my MY11 118TSI. Got some questions.

1. Given the 1.4 TSI engine has had a history of engine failure (resolved by service campaign 24S4), does anyone know of an APR tune 1.4 TSI engine failing? I searched around the forum for about an hour and couldn't find anything.

2. Did APR revise their tune to take into account changes done by service campaign 24S4? Or are they completely different things and the APR tune won't overwrite whatever settings were done via 24S4?
    Golf Mk6 118TSI DSG + Sports Pack

Quote Originally Posted by segan5 View Post
    Was thinking of getting the APR stage 1 tune for my MY11 118TSI.
    Hi segan5 I have got exactly the same config and question
    Still figuring out more about ARP and Bluefin tuning...

But definitely I have put the Forge CAI and S3 IC on my list of mods

That campaign was pretty early in the MK6 Golf's life, possibly even before the APR tune was available. From what I've seen on the forum there's no trend to suggest that having the APR software increases the chance of having problems.

Later 118TSI's were released with a better fuel pump, and APR revised its Stage 1 ECU upgrade file to take advantage of this and offer more power (late last year).

If you want a more official response contact APR directly via their website.

APR tune for the 118 was around before that campaign came about.
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR

Quote Originally Posted by segan5 View Post
    Hi guys,

Was thinking of getting the APR stage 1 tune for my MY11 118TSI. Got some questions.

1. Given the 1.4 TSI engine has had a history of engine failure (resolved by service campaign 24S4), does anyone know of an APR tune 1.4 TSI engine failing? I searched around the forum for about an hour and couldn't find anything.

2. Did APR revise their tune to take into account changes done by service campaign 24S4? Or are they completely different things and the APR tune won't overwrite whatever settings were done via 24S4?
    The campaign had several calibration changes that are incorporated in the APR tune, so no issues there

Guy, any news on the hybrid turbo?
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast