DNA Tuning (Australia)

Thread: Fitting a used ECU - what's required?

Users Country Flag

Fitting a used ECU - what's required?

G'day All,

Considering fitting a used ECU to my 2013 Caddy. I'm trying to get it back to pre-dieselgate software... Having the dieselgate fixed ECU as a spare would be handy in case I need to take it back to VW. I wondered how difficult it would be to fit and code a used ECU to the car? Is this a 10 min job for someone with VCDS and a decent working knowledge, or will it possibly be a nightmare?

I am pretty naïve when it comes to the ECU side of things...
    My understanding is that my current ECU will have a 4 digit pin, and that coding a used ECU to my car will require both that, and the used ECU's original pin, is that correct or have I got my wires crossed? I've found a suitable used ECU on the net, but unfortunately they don't seem to have that original pin code

If anyone has any experience or insight I'd love to hear it!

Thanks all.

Tk

Users Country Flag
    Can't be done with vcds to my knowledge. Needs dealer level diagnostic, ODIS.

Users Country Flag
    And if you take it to the dealer, they will try to "upgrade" to the latest software for you.

Your best bet may be to bite the bullet and get it remapped through somebody like Harding Performance or other reputable aftermarket tuning providers. I was recently quoted approximately $800 on a Revo Technik tune for my 1.6 TDI Caddy during one of their sales, which are offered a few times a year. Only thing that had me hesitating was that I should upgrade my brakes first (if my Caddy will be able to accelerate faster, then I want to be confident that I can stop faster to match).
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, I am reluctant to take it to the dealer and have them do me a favour and upgrade the ECU I've bought just to escape their "fix"... I guess really my only option would be to get the software rolled back, or have a full tune completed. I didn't realise the 2013 was so hard to do an ECU swap with. Someone mentioned it'd probably be IMMO 4 or greater, does anyone know if that is true? Is there no way an independant would have the software/hardware required to code it?

I think that a diagnostic link up with Germany would be needed. The ECU has coded into it a lot of stuff that is unique to every car so that has to be written to any ECU that if fitted to the car. For instance in some cars and I am not familiar with VW in this respect if a new injector is fitted it won't work until the injector details are put into the ECU.

Users Country Flag
    If you had 2 suitable ECUs, in my mind the only way you could use them easily would be to have one of them cloned to the other.
    If you used them in their normal state each time you swapped them you would require ODIS online to perform immobilizer adaptation. But if you had a tuner take a full clone of the ECU, including immobilizer data, then perhaps you would be able to just swap them out without any additional tools. I have no idea if this is possible, just spit-balling...
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

If a dealer has to replace an ECU he has access to what is called "as built" data which is coded into the ECU. This is the data as originally coded when the car was built.

You could get the immob removed and as long as its the same part number it'll wor fine.
    Widebody Cayman S Turbo, 83 ur Quattro
    2000 996 C4 cab,12 Scirocco R OEM+ STG2+
    72 914 (3.2S boxster pwr), 92 G60 Corrado
    76 Scirocco(TFSI and DSG) 2018 Tiguan,Eureka,81 924.