Thread: DSG tuning(& places that do it)

DSG tuning(& places that do it)

I've got a few particular issues with the way the DSG operates in my 2015 Octavia.

A pretty common one I've noted (from posts in lots of other placeS) is the shifting up way too early and holding onto taller gears too much before shifting down. Even with my 135kW TDi, anything under 1500rpm is ridiculous...

Also, I have a steep driveway and the car is almost impossible to reverse up it. If equated to someone driving a manual, it's like the clutch is being fully engaged and disengaged constantly, whereas a driver would just slip the clutch a bit to get enough momentum to get to a speed enough to let the clutch out fully.
    The cars does this really well in forwards, but reverse sucks. And I would like to be able to back up 1500kg of trailer up it occasionally.
    I used to have a 2015 Mondeo wagon that I could do that job in. The first couple of times had the wrong speed which would cause the trans to overheat and disengage the clutches, but after I figured the speed, I could just get it to "walk" up in reverse.

Could I have some recommendations of places to talk to about my issues so that I can see if I can get the car more liveable. Somewhere in Sydney would be preferable.

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    What model Octavia do you have. Just curious if you have the problematic 7 speed DQ200 or the much better 6 speed DQ250. Either way, a DSG tune will help driveability but the 7 speed DQ200 has some inherent design issues which cannot be fixed.

Your 135TDI will have the better 6 speed DQ250 gearbox as these gearboxes are fitted to the TDI's and also the GTI and R Golf models (basically any front wheel drive VW/Audi/Skoda with more than about 300nm of torque).

A DSG tune will raise the RPM limit where it changes gears. For example, my 2015 Golf GTI used to change gears at about 1,800rpm, but now with the DSG tune it changes gears at about 2,200-2,300rpm. This might not sound like much, but it makes for a significant difference when driving. For example, at 60kph the car is in 4th gear at about 2,000rpm which is a perfectly reasonable gear to be in. If you need to speed up (eg get through an orange traffic light) you are within the engines torque band so you can gain speed without changing gears.

At 80kph the car is in 5th gear. It only goes into 6th gear at about 90-95kph now.

Before the DSG tune, I simply couldn't drive the car in normal D mode because of how silly the factory software was (obviously aimed around reducing noise, emissions and using less fuel) where it was in such a rush to get into the highest gear possible (at 60kph it was in 5th gear at about 1,500rpm).

So yes I would recommend a DSG tune. Plenty of places do them these days. TVS is apparently the best. But there is Revo/APR/Racingline/ IE etc. Personally I have IE (Integrated Engineering) and am very happy with it. Volksmuller at Annangrove is probably your closest IE dealer who can load the tune on for you.

As for reversing up your driveway, this is not a great situation for a dual clutch transmission and is definitely a weak point for them. The only steep driveway I go up is my parents place who have a long, straight and relatively steep driveway. But I had no issues reversing up this pre or post DSG tune (I assume because its straight I can maintain enough speed to keep the clutches engaged).

Given the issues you have mentioned (towing, stepe driveway etc) I think you would honestly be better off getting in touch with a TVS dealer as they offer multiple versions of their DSG tunes, and one of the options is called "life extender" with clutch cooling, clutch thermomanagment and improved clutch control. German Performance Garage in Castle Hill are the local TVS dealer.

Home - TVS Engineering
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 27-07-2021 at 09:45 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Cheers. Very helpful. I do have the 6 spd DQ250.
    Raising the RPM just a bit would help.
    Do you know if the tuners specify limits or they've basically designed some standard settings?
    ie my car seems happy to pull from 1500rpm
    So it'd be nice to set a min shift down rpm in each gear to be not less than 1500,
    and also set an min shift up rpm in a gear so that it won't change up to the next gear to have less than 1500.

I did have a quick chat to them at Castle Hill but it wasn't so long after I bought the car and didn't know as much as I do a year later.

BTW, if you're crawling along in a shopping centre carpark for example, did your car used to shift up to 2nd and then try to slip the clutch a lot? Mine does this and it's super annoying. If I was driving a manual I would've left in 1st gear.
    And if so, does it still do it after the tune?

Users Country Flag
    The DSG tune in standard form does not shift back from 2nd to 1st gear unless the car is stopped (or very very slow…1-2kph).

With an aftermarket DSG tune, they enable the driver to select 1st gear at low speeds, so instead of slipping the clutch trying to pull away from very low speeds in 2nd gear, you can drop it back to 1st just like you would in a manual.

As for your other question about customising the shift points, I havent heard of any of the DSG tuners going to these lengths. It may be possible but you would need a customised tune which would no doubt cost extra $ and take time to develop/test. Best off to stick with one of the tried and tested offerings, any of which will be better than the factory DSG mapping.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks. Not really expecting to shift back to 1st from 2nd, more stop shifting up into 2nd when still only doing walking pace.

Maybe all the shift point stuff has already been worked out. If it fits with what I'd like, ie keeping revs above 1500, then that'd do me.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by wagonist View Post
    Thanks. Not really expecting to shift back to 1st from 2nd, more stop shifting up into 2nd when still only doing walking pace.

Maybe all the shift point stuff has already been worked out. If it fits with what I'd like, ie keeping revs above 1500, then that'd do me.
    Id say mine shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 10-12kph now, whereas prior to the DSG tune it would almost instantly shift from 1st to 2nd.

I'll take a video for you showing how the car behaves in normal D mode after a DSG tune, this might help answer some of your questions.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-07-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Id say mine shifts from 1st to 2nd at about 10-12kph now, whereas prior to the DSG tune it would almost instantly shift from 1st to 2nd.

I'll take a video for you showing how the car behaves in normal D mode after a DSG tune, this might help answer some of your questions.
    cheers.
    Don't need to worry about the video. I get what you're saying. And I daresay unless you've got the exact same engine/gearbox combo, it wouldn't be quite the same anyway.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist View Post
    cheers.
    Don't need to worry about the video. I get what you're saying. And I daresay unless you've got the exact same engine/gearbox combo, it wouldn't be quite the same anyway.
    Ive got a 2015 Mk7 Golf GTI, so the 2.0T engine and the 6 speed DQ250 gearbox. I took a video when I went out for lunch and these are the shift points.

1>2 = approx 12-14kph
    2>3 = approx 32kph
    3>4 = approx 48kph
    4>5 = approx 70kph
    5>6 = i didnt get to this speed in my drive as I was on suburban streets, but its about 85kph I believe. Will check tonight as I have to drive the car out tonight on a higher speed road.

So with the DSG tune you can comfortably drive at 60kph in 4th gear, whereas the factory tune would be in 5th-6th at this speed and labouring along.

And drive at 80kph in 5th gear without labouring along.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 28-07-2021 at 03:47 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST