Thread: CDAA 1.8 TSI engine compression

Users Country Flag

CDAA 1.8 TSI engine compression

Hello,
    Can someone please tell me what the compression should be in a new 1.8L TSI CDAA engine?
    Thanks very much

Users Country Flag
    I doubt anyone on here (unless they are a VW/Audi /Skoda) mechanic would know that answer mate. Obviously a healthy engine should have similar compression across all four cylinders, and any significant difference indicates an issue with that particular cylinder.

Why do you ask? Have you got an issue you are trying to diagnose?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Just read some of your other posts - looks like you are having some oil consumption issues in your 1.8TSI Passat. Why don't you give Miro from MRL Automotive a call. He is a helpful member on here is owns a mobile VW mechanic service in Adelaide.

VW Servicing Adelaide
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    compression wouldn't necessarily equate to oil consumption. I'd be looking at 150psi across the board as a ball park though

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks very much for the replies. FYI, all cylinders checked out pretty well at 155 to 158 psi and all were close enough to 170 on the wet test. I am burning HUUUGE amounts of oil (over 1 litre per 350k's!). When the car was idling the other day for 5 minutes i could see a pool of oil (slight exaggeration) forming under the exhaust pipe!! I'm wondering whether the oil rings are shot even though the compression rings are OK. Other things could be stuffed turbo or valve seals. I'll try calling Miro and continue to search but any suggestions appreciated. Thanks

Users Country Flag

Pull the pipe off between the turbo and the IC. Is it full of oil?

How old is the PCV assembly? If the engine is idling is it hard to remove the oil filler cap?

I remember reading a few years back that there is a plastic labrynth bonded to the valve cover and if the glue fails the oil consumption will be similar to yours. you might want to check that as I may have it confused with the MkV engine

If it's the oil rings they will have sludged up as the hole in them is too small. What's the service history like? Has it been used for lots of short trips?
    Magazine uncovers reason for Audi engines' high oil consumption | Metropolitan.fi
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums