Support VWWC

Thread: APR Stage 1

Users Country Flag

APR Stage 1

Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about putting a flash tune on my 2015 MK7 GTI Performance. I've heard good reviews about all brands and I'm really wanting to go for an APR stage 1. The only problem I've got is that I've heard the APR tunes are a bit harsh on the engines.
    Does anyone have any experience with them? If so did any issue arrise from having the tune?

Cheers

The main issues are that you'll wear out your front tyres quicker.

Seriously on a FWD car you'll want to invest in a decent set of (front) tyres as you'll certainly be heading into territory where traction becomes and issue.

The only other thing is if you have a manual then you need to budget on a new clutch as the stock clutches will end up getting fried. With a DSG this is less of an issue.

In terms of tuners go with whoever you feel most comfortable with and where you can get support.

The APR tunes do tend to come on boost harder (and tail off towards redline) - not sure about being harsh on the engines. All tunes will make the engine work harder and cause more wear and tear. Recommend shortening time between oil changes/servicing.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Have had an APR Stage 1 on a 2014 Mk7 GTi manual for about 2 years, with no issues whatsoever, including no noticeable clutch issues.

Agree with the tyre suggestion, I have Michelin PS4s all round.
    2014 Mk7 Golf GTI
    2003 Mk4 Golf

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Josho141 View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have been thinking about putting a flash tune on my 2015 MK7 GTI Performance. I've heard good reviews about all brands and I'm really wanting to go for an APR stage 1. The only problem I've got is that I've heard the APR tunes are a bit harsh on the engines.
    Does anyone have any experience with them? If so did any issue arrise from having the tune?

Cheers
    Hey Josh,
    Just wondering if you ended up getting the Stage 1 APR and how you found it? I went stage 1 and then shortly after went to stage 2 done by the Tunehouse team who I found to be excellent.
    cheers
    Andrew