Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5N Tiguan with IE Tune

5N Tiguan with IE Tune

2015 VW 5N Tiguan 132tsi (180hp) AWD, 7spd DSG, base version, just hit 30,000kms
    Has an intake kit with pod filter, and awaiting delivery on front Speedtech braided brake lines & Speedbleeder brake nipples all round.

Just installed Integrated Engineering (IE) Stage1 93oct flash tune. Very happy with the results. Yet to try the 91oct tune, will update in a few weeks after testing both tunes out.

Received the IE Powerlink flash tune device within 5 days of ordering it from the US off the website, delivered to Aust. Tried it out immediately but there was no reference tune for my Tiguan. Emailed IE about the issue and they had a stock tune to match uploaded within 36hrs. Great service!

Tried it out, but the V4 Powerlink now had an issue where it wouldn't recognise my purchased tune credit. IE were aware of the documented problem and had it tested and fixed in a couple of days. Nice work lads!

Uploaded the 93 tune as soon as I got home from work today, took about 10mins to install, and I can see why you need a battery charger on! The fans run at 100% duty cycle for the majority of the remapping process. Charged the battery up a bit more over dinner then excitedly went to test the tune.

First up it gave an error on the dash, with flashing lights. Oh no! Pulled out my OBDeleven Pro and ran an error code test, where it threw up 11 faults. Went through each one, common theme was 01314, 01325, U111100, U112100 and U111110. These related to engine ECM, and minor things like tyre pressure monitoring. I think maybe the reference tune was from a car with more features than mine, with mine being the most Basic Aust-delivered version? 01314 relates to the remap I think.

Not to worry, cleared them all after a bit of research on each error code and the related modules. I decided it was safe to quickly test drive...... wow! Very impressive, the Tig just takes off ever so quickly, putting the power down all the way thru to redline. Going to enjoy getting used to the transformed driving dynamics, that's for sure, this thing is quick!

Under first impressions S-mode is pretty useless now as I dont live on the rev-limiter (although it always was, will definitely need a DSG tune next), D-mode is fantastic under load and off boost it runs very smoothly, and found driving in manual mode to be spot on. I reckon I'll look for a Mk6 golf paddle shift steering wheel in the near future.

It's undoubtedly a good tune, and I'm happy to be running IE. Thanks to the crew for their tech support. I'll get it on a dyno soon and take some data logs, see where its at. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy driving my Tig

Further mods will include a DSG tune, intercooler upgrade, downpipe and IE stage2 tune, but in the meantime will look for a mk6 paddle shift steering wheel and a newsouth performance air vent boost gauge.

If you'd like the ability to flash tune your car yourself and be able to revert to stock tune within minutes, or change between 93 & 91oct tunes (98/95ron), then IE might be worth a look. Good value for how it performs.
    Last edited by bwilkeson; 19-06-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: removed competitors name

IE Powerlink is probably a decent option now that APR are pulling down their Stage2 tune. Got nothing but good things to say about IE, worth looking into if you're after a high boost tune.

Still haven't gotten onto a dyno yet, don't know when that will happen, but will update at that point in time. Added a Passat CC paddle shift steering wheel &, in conjunction with the 98ron tune, realised that this is how the Tiguan should have come from factory Great car, loving it.

I’d be getting the stage 2 file from IE now if I were you even if you’re not planning on installing it yet. Likely the same thing will happen to other US tuner companies that is happening to APR and they will suspend their stage 2 files rather than get fined by the EPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    I'd be putting the Tig on a dyno ASAP to see what its doing before spending more on IE. Especially compare it to other Stg 1 125/132 TSI Tiguans and make sure the dyno has done an APR one too.

As far as I know no other tuner had a really successful tune for the 125/132TSI Tiguans other than APR. It's not a case of simply loading a MK6GTI (or even a 147/155TSI Tiguan) tune. A generic tune made for all Gen 1/2 EA888s simply did not work (well) on the 125/132. Things may have changed, but I doubt it. Not all Gen 2 2.0Turbo EA888s were equal .....

I'm not saying get an APR tune, far from it, these days I definitely wouldn't, but back when these cars were new, APR was the only tuner who could properly tune a 125/132TSI Tiguan.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Stage2 credit for the Powerlink dongle is a 50USD upgrade, sorted.

I've got 100% faith in the IE tune. I did my research, and I continually found that customers who had tried both APR and then IE preferred the IE tune. Yes, its not the same as a VW GTi tune, from what I understand the IE coders cracked the tiguan interface long ago enabling a full reflash capability. IMO these guys know their stuff.....

I've had a built RB26DETT with PowerFC and an highly modified Stagea RB25DET with Apexi Safc+Sitc combo, added a MAP-FIC, and evolved that '25 from 120awkw to 275awkw (low boost, GT3076) over time, fiddling & learning. Just saying that its not my first rodeo.

The IE tune is smooth, with no hint of detonation that I can audibly tell. I will definitely dyno check it as we hit Summer temps, had to cancel previous booking unfortunately. At this stage its not HP numbers Im interested in, moreso AFRs. However, again, I'm very comfortable with my choice of remap at this point in time. Love the fact I can do it myself & not rely on any particular tuner-affiliated garage.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bwilkeson View Post
    Stage2 credit for the Powerlink dongle is a 50USD upgrade, sorted.

I've got 100% faith in the IE tune. I did my research, and I continually found that customers who had tried both APR and then IE preferred the IE tune. Yes, its not the same as a VW GTi tune, from what I understand the IE coders cracked the tiguan interface long ago enabling a full reflash capability. IMO these guys know their stuff.....

I've had a built RB26DETT with PowerFC and an highly modified Stagea RB25DET with Apexi Safc+Sitc combo, added a MAP-FIC, and evolved that '25 from 120awkw to 275awkw (low boost, GT3076) over time, fiddling & learning. Just saying that its not my first rodeo.

The IE tune is smooth, with no hint of detonation that I can audibly tell. I will definitely dyno check it as we hit Summer temps, had to cancel previous booking unfortunately. At this stage its not HP numbers Im interested in, moreso AFRs. However, again, I'm very comfortable with my choice of remap at this point in time. Love the fact I can do it myself & not rely on any particular tuner-affiliated garage.
    All I'm saying is that the tune for the 147/155TSI Tiguan and the 125/132TSI Tiguan have never been the same, regardless of the tuners used. Many tuners in Australia simply tried to put the 147/155 tune onto the "lower" spec Tiguans which seemed reasonably considering the hardware were in fact identical. The results unfortunately were less than expected ....

Both Tigger and myself have been through this with our own 5N Tiguans and we have both been running a variety of tuned VW's for years ....

IE only lists a single tune on their website for many cars running Gen 2 EA888s. If you are happy that's great but I'd still double check to confirm (a dyno will tell). It would be awesome to add another tuner that can actually do all 5N Tiguans to the list so it would be good to get that confirmation.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

^ Point taken, I see what you're saying. Admittedly I'm new to the modern VAG interface & wasn't aware of 155 / 132 tuning issues. What was the exact issue here, just lower HP & Nm on the 132s compared to the same tune on 155s? Or something more sinister?

I will update once dyno'd. Got a bit on my plate atm on my rostered day off, hopefully get it done within the next couple of months. My butt-dyno tells me it gained ~45hp.....

5N Tiguan with IE Tune

I know some tuners had problem cars with both Mk6 GTI and Tiguans due to the limitations in the tooling that they were using.

They wouldn’t read/write the full ECU (most tooling doesn’t) - just a portion of it, however the tune files would end up with either a flat spot or be down on power.

The tricky thing was it wasn’t every car- some worked fine but then others were a pain. Not sure whether it was variation in the ECU type or what but there were a number of cars that were problematic. I had one that I struggled with one tuner for close to a year before giving up and putting an APR file on which fixed it.

I don’t think this was specific to 132/125TSI as this also happened with random 155TSI and Golf GTI as well. I actually think it may have been to do with the ECU variant and how the tooling was accessing the files.

This is also the reason why it can be problematic jumping from one tuner to another without flashing to stock in between as different tooling will access / make changes to different parts of the ECU file and you can be left with remnants of the old file still in the ECU even after overwriting it with new software.
    Last edited by tigger73; 20-08-2020 at 07:10 AM.

Installed a 3" ss DP with cat today. Empire Performance brand to suit Golf R. Fitted up with some minor manipulation to clear the Tiguan awd driveshaft position, hopefully all is good after settling in.
    IE enabled a Stage 2 tune for my powerlink device ($50usd upgrade option from Stage 1 tune) a few weeks ago, exemplary service without doubt. Car reflashed to the upgraded 98ron tune without a problem, on a charger and with my mobile hotspot connection on my laptop to ensure a solid net connection.
    Took around 10mins with fans on full duty to download, erase and rewrite the new tune - I will test drive later after the battery has fully charged.
    OBDeleven picked up some minor error codes as is normal, all taken care of, ready to go!
    DP has a nice burble to it... looking forward to seeing how its performing on the road & my local awd dyno.

Be interested in longer term feedback on the Empire Performance exhaust. They are around half the price of others on the market and seem to be a bit hit and miss in terms of fitment at lest for the Golf guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast