Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

As promised here is the video of my car starting up. You will have to wait till the end to hear it stop. You can clearly hear that quite a lot of air is being pulled through.

https://youtu.be/TBwsdUT2m6g

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    That sounds different to mine...
    It almost sounds like a vacum cleaner to begin with...then towards the end of the clip it settles down.
    That is what mine sounds like (at the end of the clip, defiantly not what it sounds like at the start).

Did it always sound like this?
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    That sounds different to mine...
    It almost sounds like a vacum cleaner to begin with...then towards the end of the clip it settles down.
    That is what mine sounds like (at the end of the clip, defiantly not what it sounds like at the start).

Did it always sound like this?
    Yep every cold start.

Yep never had anything like that on mine.

Users Country Flag
    Just a thought... pop the bonnet before starting and see if it's the thermo fans firing up?

Maybe a bodgy temp sensor??? Just enough time for the ECU to get an updated read and turn them off?

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Man, that's one heck of a noise! - you sure its the supercharger?

You should be able to see the inner belt moving on the coolant pump/clutch if its the supercharger is running.

Mine definitely has never done that, but as you say maybe its only on 2012's.

Yep so started it up this morning and it's 100% the supercharger. The small belt runs and when I put my hands over the pod filter to increase the pressure you can clearly hear it pull harder to bring in the required amount of air. Must be exactly what you said blower. It's using it to heat up the cat. While the supercharger is running like that the revs are about 1100 and as soon as it shuts down it drops to 800-900. Weird that nobody else has this. Would be interesting to know someone else with a 2012 twincharger or even a newer beetle to know if it does the same.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rygreen93 View Post
    Yep so started it up this morning and it's 100% the supercharger. The small belt runs and when I put my hands over the pod filter to increase the pressure you can clearly hear it pull harder to bring in the required amount of air. Must be exactly what you said blower. It's using it to heat up the cat. While the supercharger is running like that the revs are about 1100 and as soon as it shuts down it drops to 800-900. Weird that nobody else has this. Would be interesting to know someone else with a 2012 twincharger or even a newer beetle to know if it does the same.

These 1.4 TSI's are full of surprises....just when i thought i have learnt everything there is to know about them - it comes up with something new!

Never before has an engine been messed about with so much by a manufacturer. Nearly all of it in the name of reducing emissions....or should i say reducing them just enough on the official test

The whole cat pre-heat thing only runs when the engine temp is btwn 20 and 30c - which just so happens to be the official ambient temperature range of the European test labs for emissions testing.

You would think it would do it when its colder, but nope - VW saw no need as the test lab will never be at that temperature and having the engine run like a bag of spanners every single time you cold start would cause too many complaints, so only do it under lab conditions and to hell with it in the winter - when it would have the most effect on emissions! They must have sold a lot of these cars in the winter - with their smooth cold starts....come summer the sales men must preheat them up, as its going to be tricky to sell a car that's rocking and a rolling when you first start it up.

If your supercharger runs every time on a cold start they must now be doing the cat pre-heating on every cold start, rather than only when the engine/coolant is 20c-30c. Which they can get away with as it no longer runs like a bag of spanners - instead it just screams like a banshee!

Quote Originally Posted by blower View Post
    These 1.4 TSI's are full of surprises....just when i thought i have learnt everything there is to know about them - it comes up with something new!

Never before has an engine been messed about with so much by a manufacturer. Nearly all of it in the name of reducing emissions....or should i say reducing them just enough on the official test

The whole cat pre-heat thing only runs when the engine temp is btwn 20 and 30c - which just so happens to be the official ambient temperature range of the European test labs for emissions testing.

You would think it would do it when its colder, but nope - VW saw no need as the test lab will never be at that temperature and having the engine run like a bag of spanners every single time you cold start would cause too many complaints, so only do it under lab conditions and to hell with it in the winter - when it would have the most effect on emissions! They must have sold a lot of these cars in the winter - with their smooth cold starts....come summer the sales men must preheat them up, as its going to be tricky to sell a car that's rocking and a rolling when you first start it up.

If your supercharger runs every time on a cold start they must now be doing the cat pre-heating on every cold start, rather than only when the engine/coolant is 20c-30c. Which they can get away with as it no longer runs like a bag of spanners - instead it just screams like a banshee!
    So true!!! I would actually assume that you may be right about it only being between 20-30 though I have just never paid enough attention to the ambient when I start my car. But now that you point it out I will have a look and see how it goes early on a colder morning.

Looks like I'll be going down the new piston route as well (not by choice). 2 cylinders have given up and apparently were shut down. Car was driveable as long as I didn't request any boost at all, which meant getting acquainted with Manual mode (paddle shift) again to keep the revs higher.

I'm assuming a cost of 3-5k to get it back to normal.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast