DNA Tuning (Australia)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild

Users Country Flag

Good job!

My intake valves looked similar when i took photos down the ports before rebuilding my engine.

When i actually got the head off and took out all the valves, it looked a lot worse - the long ports means the camera can't get close up and you don't see the mess they are really in :

Good job you got yours cleaned!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-dirty_head3-jpg   118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-dirty_head1-jpg  

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    So far so good! Got the car back yesterday afternoon and it seems to be running really smooth. I have 1000kms on run-in oil and I have been told to keep it below 4k RPM and take it easy on the throttle to let everything settle. Really happy with it all, its looking very clean. They got the S3 intercooler in as well which I am very happy about.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rygreen93 View Post
    So far so good! Got the car back yesterday afternoon and it seems to be running really smooth. I have 1000kms on run-in oil and I have been told to keep it below 4k RPM and take it easy on the throttle to let everything settle. Really happy with it all, its looking very clean. They got the S3 intercooler in as well which I am very happy about.
    Great news mate! Glad to hear that you have finally got your dub back!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Good to hear - hope its all smooth sailing from here on in.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Great news! did they end up cutting the clamps off the intercooler hose to make it fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Great news! did they end up cutting the clamps off the intercooler hose to make it fit?
    Yeah they cut the clamps off and cut the one hose at an angle and it looks really clean.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Nice one! - glad you got it back and its running well, happy days

I filled mine with a cheap oil, ran it very gently for about 5 miles, dumped that out (used it to remove any unwanted particles that may have got in during the rebuild).

I then filled with running-in oil, and as they boldly printed on the bottle - once up to temperature, I drove it hard, varying rev's a lot and doing plenty of full throttle pulls. Did this for a few hundred miles and then emptied that out and filled with normal.

I've since done 4000 miles and the oil level hasn't moved at all on the stick

Quote Originally Posted by blower View Post
    Nice one! - glad you got it back and its running well, happy days

I filled mine with a cheap oil, ran it very gently for about 5 miles, dumped that out (used it to remove any unwanted particles that may have got in during the rebuild).

I then filled with running-in oil, and as they boldly printed on the bottle - once up to temperature, I drove it hard, varying rev's a lot and doing plenty of full throttle pulls. Did this for a few hundred miles and then emptied that out and filled with normal.

I've since done 4000 miles and the oil level hasn't moved at all on the stick
    Yeah so mine was started up on mineral-oil which was cleared out after 30 minutes of dyno running. (Varying revs and load)

Then they filled it with running-in oil but funnily enough they have told me to keep it under 4k rpm to protect the turbo. Apparently the running-in oil is also mineral oil and because it does not have as much lubrication capacity at high heat (which is perfect for an engine while breaking in but not so much for a hot turbo), so I have been fairly tame with it so far. They told me to take it easy for the first 1000km's and then they will put synthetic in it and let me boot it. Which I am still nervous about, but I know its going to be happy.

Was yours a bit rough for the first 20 seconds or so when it was cold on the running-in oil?

Users Country Flag
    Yeah so mine was started up on mineral-oil which was cleared out after 30 minutes of dyno running. (Varying revs and load)

Then they filled it with running-in oil but funnily enough they have told me to keep it under 4k rpm to protect the turbo. Apparently the running-in oil is also mineral oil and because it does not have as much lubrication capacity at high heat (which is perfect for an engine while breaking in but not so much for a hot turbo), so I have been fairly tame with it so far. They told me to take it easy for the first 1000km's and then they will put synthetic in it and let me boot it. Which I am still nervous about, but I know its going to be happy.

Was yours a bit rough for the first 20 seconds or so when it was cold on the running-in oil?
    Don't be too concerned, that is just the cold start process.
    All of them do it.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Don't be too concerned, that is just the cold start process.
    All of them do it.
    Na mine doesn't do it. I have a modified tune so I no longer get the rough idle on starting to heat the Cat. I always get the wining from the compressor which I assume we would all get as it warms up. But I never had the rough idle on start-up. My brother has the 90tsi which does it.

This is more to do with either the fact that the mineral oil is draining of the engine over night as it does not stick as well or my second theory is that while the new pistons are cold there is a lot of blow by and after about 20 seconds that seals up and then she runs smooth. That's my theory anyways.

Do you ever go to the breakfast laps Ope126 ?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast