Support VWWC

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    For a fraction of the cost of a new aftermarket or custom downpipe, you could remove your stock one, knock out the 1st of the two catalytic converters to remove a layer of restriction and re-fit it to the car. If you wanted to go to the next level, get the 2nd cat removed and replaced with a 200 cel high flow item which might cost you $200-300 depending on the quality of cat converter you choose. I really don't think the little k03 on a 1.4L engine will flow enough air to benefit too much from an aftermarket downpipe, especially considering the pipe diameter on the stock exhaust is around 2.3" - 2.4" which is plenty big enough.

I did this with my Mk6 GTI and you get 80% of the benefit for about 10-20% of the cost of an aftermarket downpipe.
    I always thought there was only 1 catalytic converter in the 4 cylinder engines with an O2 sensor before and after it. I've heard of guys in Europe drilling out the cat in the 1.4 TSI and using the stage 2 file catless (which is obviously illegal here). As Lucas suggested you could install a 200cel cat further down the pipe in the central channel (tonnes of space in there). It'd be some exhaust shop fabrication and you'd need to relocate the O2 sensors but there's no reason i can think of why it couldn't work. It would be much cheaper and it avoids the need to worry about insulating a new downpipe.

The Milltek TBE I have for the 1.4 twincharger is 2.5" which isn't much wider than stock in the downpipe where it counts.

EDIT: Here's the technique: Any 1.4TSI Pre-cat empty'ing experiences? - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com
    Last edited by Mk R; 12-08-2016 at 01:19 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I really don't think the little k03 on a 1.4L engine will flow enough air to benefit too much from an aftermarket downpipe, especially considering the pipe diameter on the stock exhaust is around 2.3" - 2.4" which is plenty big enough.
    I tend to agree, the exhaust guy I spoke to had a quick look and said the setup looks pretty good already for the size of the engine.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I tend to agree, the exhaust guy I spoke to had a quick look and said the setup looks pretty good already for the size of the engine.
    It does some serious breathing for a 1.4 though. I regularly get peak boost over 20 PSI and 17-18 in the turbo range. Smaller displacement but higher pressure than many 2.0 litre and up turbo engines. Stage 2+ maps can take peak boost up to 25 PSI and revlimit boost to 18 PSI up to 7000 RPM.

Users Country Flag
    For a fraction of the cost of a new aftermarket or custom downpipe, you could remove your stock one, knock out the 1st of the two catalytic converters to remove a layer of restriction and re-fit it to the car. If you wanted to go to the next level, get the 2nd cat removed and replaced with a 200 cel high flow item which might cost you $200-300 depending on the quality of cat converter you choose. I really don't think the little k03 on a 1.4L engine will flow enough air to benefit too much from an aftermarket downpipe, especially considering the pipe diameter on the stock exhaust is around 2.3" - 2.4" which is plenty big enough.

I did this with my Mk6 GTI and you get 80% of the benefit for about 10-20% of the cost of an aftermarket downpipe.
    There's only 1, big fat, cat on the 1.4 tsi.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Do you know if there's any weight difference is between the old and new pistons? Lighter pistons + rods might mean a higher possible rev limit in the new engine and the potential for a sweet custom map...
    Wossner forged pistons are actually 10 grams heavier (250g vs 240g for stock - this is just the piston, the wrist pins are the same weight..(340 total vs 330g)

More material has been removed in areas on the backside of the piston to try and get the weight down closer to stock - forged pistons being denser aluminium are usually heavier.
    Last edited by blower; 13-08-2016 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blower View Post
    Wossner forged pistons are actually 10 grams heavier (250g vs 240g for stock - this is just the piston, the wrist pins are the same weight..(340 total vs 330g)

More material has been removed in areas on the backside of the piston to try and get the weight down closer to stock - forged pistons being denser aluminium are usually heavier.
    Yeah ok, that makes sense. Did either of you guys also install after market con-rods? I've seen the ZRP ones online for sale for about 300 pounds.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk R View Post
    Yeah ok, that makes sense. Did either of you guys also install after market con-rods? I've seen the ZRP ones online for sale for about 300 pounds.
    Nope, standard rods going back into mine. Most people I have spoken to reckon that they are plenty strong enough for as much as you could possibly squeeze out of our engine. They are pretty thick. I was holding a GTI rod and one of mine and there really isn't a massive difference in size and thickness. Although some of us almost run stock GTI power the GTI rods are good for a hell of a lot of power so ours can't be that far behind in my opinion.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rygreen93 View Post
    Nope, standard rods going back into mine. Most people I have spoken to reckon that they are plenty strong enough for as much as you could possibly squeeze out of our engine. They are pretty thick. I was holding a GTI rod and one of mine and there really isn't a massive difference in size and thickness. Although some of us almost run stock GTI power the GTI rods are good for a hell of a lot of power so ours can't be that far behind in my opinion.
    Agreed, everything i have heard is the same and looking at the conrod's i'd say they'd handle anything we could squeeze out of this engine. Stock rod's went back into mine as well.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    *If anyone knows how to rotate images please let me know*

So another couple of weeks have gone by without my car. Bit of an update on how things are going. I should be picking it up tomorrow at some stage which I am excited but weirdly quite nervous about.

Once the pistons arrived, the block, rods and pistons were sent off to a local engineering company to be bored and have all the clearances checked. I didn't have much to do with this and didn't see the engine after it had been bored, but here are a few pictures that the garage sent me. We had a bit of an issue with the top ring. Seems like Wossner sent the correct lower rings but the top ring was way to big. Luckily Wossner in Australia had a spare which was sent up

Wossner Pistons in the fresh block

New Pistons, Stock Rods

After everything arrived, things started to move pretty quickly. As I said before the only parts that were updated on my engine was the timing chain assembly which was updated to the revision that went in the CTHD engine. Other than that nothing else was changed. I did put a new set of BKR7EIX plugs in it.

Top End back on

Supercharger and Turbo back on

A common issue with cars these days is carbon on the intake and exhaust valves. I was expecting a lot more carbon on my valves but I think that due to the way I drive the car it wasn't as bad as expected. My next mod once I get the car back will be to fit an oil catch can to reduce this build up in the future. The garage has a walnut blaster that connects up to the intake port to blast away all the carbon.

Before

After

The engine has been started and is apparently running very smooth. Tomorrow they will be taking it for a drive about 20kms and reading engine outputs and looking for any fault codes. Assuming that all goes well I will be pick it up around lunch. The only thing that wasn't installed was the S3 intercooler which they didn't do because they didn't want to cut the stock pipes. Personally I would prefer them to cut the stock pipes and install it but I will see what they say when I get there. They have agreed to install it at no cost. I will post once I have taken it for a drive to let you know how it goes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-vw-1-jpg   118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-vw-3-jpg  

118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-vw-9-jpg   118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-vw-16-jpg  

118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-vw-22-jpg   118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-vw-23-jpg  

118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-vw-13-jpg   118TSI Forged Piston Engine Rebuild-vw14-jpg  

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the update mate!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast