Thread: Wireless Apple CarPlay

Users Country Flag

Wireless Apple CarPlay

Hi all. I’m trying to find out if I can connect wirelessly to Apple CarPlay in my 2020 R. I’m currently using a 20cm cable. The book says it must be connected by a cable but it would be much easier wirelessly. There are videos around showing wireless but I suspect this may be country specific? Any info much appreciated!

Users Country Flag
    If wireless CarPlay was available, it would ask you about it in the setup process with the cable. If you don’t get the option during configuration, it’s likely you don’t have the functionality.

I’ve also found wireless CarPlay isn’t that great. The audio sometimes drops out at a short interval, and to fix it I have to restart both the head unit and my phone.
    2018 Golf R (Ticks all the boxes, really, really well)
    2021 Passat Alltrack (not so) Premium
    2017 Tiguan R-Line (Sold, and missing it.)
    BNE Qld

Users Country Flag

Wireless Apple CarPlay

Buy the wireless Carplay adapter from VW Central and it works great. This is what i have in my Mk7 GTI.

It just sits in the cubby area in front of the gear lever and plugs into the USB port.

Connects in about 20-30 seconds or so and stays connected.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ordered from VW central! $199 well spent. Thank you.

Another thumbs up for this gadget. If there are different drivers/phones it can take a little while to gets it’s act together connecting back and forth between the different phones. But once up and running it will quickly connect/reconnect to the same phone. Audio quality is the same as audio over any Bluetooth set up. The only downside is you lose the charging function but connecting the phone via the 12 V “cigarette lighter” socket would sort this out on longer car trips.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I have added the wireless charging mat and all work well. I also stuck the dongle to the ‘roof’ of the cubby using double sided tape and it’s invisible now.

Users Country Flag

I also have this unit. Big tick.
    Wolfsburg 7.5R. Lapiz Blue hatch DSG with sunroof.