Thread: Wiper arms query

Wiper arms query

Bit of a strange one. The other day I found my 2018 Golf with both wiper arms up in the service position and with the wiper blades pulled back from the windscreen ie everything sticking pretty much vertically upwards. It had not been raining for a while. I initially thought it must have been done by one of my kind and considerate neighbours objecting to me parking (briefly I might add) in one of the Visitor Parking spots. Put the wiper arms back down and when I started the car the wiper arms returned to normal position and everything working fine.
    Curious as to how it had been done given when in the rest position the wiper arms are tucked in under the rear of the bonnet I tried to do it manually, only to find that the wiper arms are locked in position and would need a lot of force to rotate the wiper arms out from under the bonnet to sweep them up onto the windscreen. Of course I am sure it could be done but would imagine that such force would bend or break something, and/or "spin" the wiper arm hubs off each mounting bolt and really bugger up the wiper blade operation.
    I then began to wonder whether I might have inadvertently set the wiper blades into service position as I got out of the car, or that one of those weird electrical gremlins had done it as I locked the car. Either would seem unlikely and would not explain how the wiper arms then came to be retracted off the windscreen. I can only conclude therefore that yes someone has given these wiper arms a real good going over and it has been only through good luck that nothing seems to have been damaged. Any thoughts/comments welcome. Thanks

Users Country Flag

If there is no evident damage you might have inadvertently set the wiper blades into service position.