Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Window Tinting for the Mk7

Users Country Flag

booked mine tomorrow @ CarX in Clayton, VIC, friend recommended.
    $220 was quoted, Johnson and Suntek films available.
    MY14 Golf MK7 103 TSI Highline | DSG 7 spd | Pacific Blue | Bi-Xennon | Sunroof | Driver Assist 2 | Leather |
    MY12 Passat B7 118 TSI | DSG 7 spd | Silver |

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by GeckoZAO View Post
    booked mine tomorrow @ CarX in Clayton, VIC, friend recommended.
    $220 was quoted, Johnson and Suntek films available.
    Photos after please! $220 sounds like a good deal!
    MY18 Volvo XC60 Inscription | Pine Grey | Lifestyle Pack
    MY14 Golf VII 103 TSI Highline | DSG | Limestone Grey | Bi-Xennon | Sunroof | Driver Assist 2 | Leather | sold

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    All tints should offer 100% UV protection.

I'd assume a Cancer Council film is just a fee paid to the Cancer Council to licence the use of their name just like Cancer Council sunscreen is no different from other sunscreens with the same SP rating. A similar scheme exists with the heart tick symbol for food. You pay a licence fee to use the branding.
    Thanks Brad!

the guy i rang up kept pushing the cancer council tints saying they are the best albeit being more expensive. but i'll definitely do more research into it after your info.
    MY14 Golf VII 103 TSI Highline | DSG | Limestone Grey | Bi-Xennon | Sunroof | Driver Assist 2 | Leather | sold

Users Country Flag
    Try sun block on main north rd medindie
    Great prices and great tint

Users Country Flag
    Just thought id jump back in with some explanation about my choice in tint..

Could have got the "generic darkest legal" for about $350, the "top of the line 100% UV" stuff for about $450 or the brand new stuff they had got in that offers additional IR filtering as well as the 100% UV.

Leather interiors tend to dry and crack when the sun gets to them so when I bought this car I decided that I'd rather spend $200 extra on tint and know that I've got the best possible protection for the interior from the sun. Hell, $690 is less than 1% of the car cost so cuts hardly a bank breaker!

Sent from my Radiant using Tapatalk
    Biscay Blue 2009 R36 Wagon
    RNS510 w/ Reverse Camera | Sunroof | Auto Tail Gate | 30,000kms
    VCDS Changes: Rain Sense Auto Close | Tear Drop Wipe | Lock/Unlock Beep
    Checkout my thread

Users Country Flag
    IR radiation from the sun, or "heat" as it is commonly known, will be blocked to some extent by all tints. I know I had a car done years ago with expensive tint that boasted proudly "60-somthing% IR protection". I'll tell you now that the generic film I've had installed on every car since has blocked more heat than the expensive stuff, and they have done a better job of installing it too.

But yes, $700 is nothing compared to the cost of a new car, so can't blame you for playing it safe

Quote Originally Posted by levendi001 View Post
    Try sun block on main north rd medindie
    Great prices and great tint
    Thanks Levindi! I'll give them a ring.

What level of tint is already in the glass? Any? I assumed the glass would offer UV protection

I hadn't thought about after market tinting and assumed I could get away without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    What level of tint is already in the glass? Any? I assumed the glass would offer UV protection

I hadn't thought about after market tinting and assumed I could get away without it.
    Hey Jimi,

I had a look at the current brochure and it states "heat insulating tinted glass" as standard for all Golfs. guess its the greenish tint on all of them.

says nothing about UV protection but my guess is VW offers window film tinting as an extra, you probably won't get much from the standard tint.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by applegen View Post
    Photos after please! $220 sounds like a good deal!
    haha, can you be bothered to drive to Melb to do the tint? XD
    the job was really well done, i actually saw them doing it in the workshop, they did it very carefully.
    the boss was very nice too, i will visit him again if i have another car to tint.
    i will post photos later this week!
    MY14 Golf MK7 103 TSI Highline | DSG 7 spd | Pacific Blue | Bi-Xennon | Sunroof | Driver Assist 2 | Leather |
    MY12 Passat B7 118 TSI | DSG 7 spd | Silver |

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast