Support VWWC

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?

Users Country Flag

Thanks, OzBargain has great prices.

The question now is if I need 5W/30 or 5W/40 viscosity as there is another Gastrol Edge which is 5/40, and both are 502 00 oils.

Which one, 5W/30 or 5W/40, thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kakao View Post
    Thanks, OzBargain has great prices.

The question now is if I need 5W/30 or 5W/40 viscosity as there is another Gastrol Edge which is 5/40, and both are 502 00 oils.

Which one, 5W/30 or 5W/40, thanks

New engine that takes 15k+ to run in properly? Unless you are absolutely hammering it 5w-30 is fine.

For the 90% of people that drive "normally" you can use either and it would make no major difference.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Bunnings of all places!
    Supercheap had a special on (40% off?) and I got Bunnings to "beat it by 10%" and Valvoline had $20 per jug cash back by redemption. I bought 2x 5L as that was all Bunnings had on the shelf. This was some time this year (march??)

OzBargain is a great place to monitor oil prices
    This stuff? Says its VW502/505: Valvoline 5L 5W-40 SynPower Full Synthetic Oil | Bunnings Warehouse
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    It does say its only "Suitable for" which is different to "Approved for" though.

Only difference is they wouldnt pay for certification but I would be hesitant to use it and blow a piston or something in warranty period

LOL
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-10-2020 at 02:02 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    It does say its only "Suitable for" which is different to "Approved for" though.

Only difference is they wouldnt pay for certification but I would be hesitant to use it and blow a piston or something in warranty period

LOL
    Yes big difference in who is legally responsible just by 1 simple word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    New engine that takes 15k+ to run in properly? Unless you are absolutely hammering it 5w-30 is fine.

For the 90% of people that drive "normally" you can use either and it would make no major difference.

Nope, didn't say that the car takes 15,000Km+ to run-in properly, maybe 3,000 - 5,000Km maximum ..

Went to VW service centre today and asked the guy at the front desk about the oil recommendation - He says Castrol Edge 5W/30 Professional is what they use, but he was unable to tell if 502 00 or 504 00 is suitable for my car ...!? (Can you believe this??)

Then I went to Repco, and the lady looked into her computer and said that 5W/30 LL (long Life, not A3/B4) 504 00 is the one ...?!?!? That is contrary to what is on the label in the engine bay.

All in all, I believe that the confusion about all this is intentional, to make people just go to a dealership and pay $400+ for oil change.
    If one carefully look at the Owner's Manual, there is no mention of viscosity either. Very fishy indeed, and not appropriate for such big company such as VW.

I can hardly believe that 502 00 or 504 00 would make any difference whatsoever, or have a negative impact on the car engine, but I bought 4 canisters of 502 00 Edge A3/B4 (as it was on special, $44/5L canister) and 4 original VW filters for the future .. this is in addition to the regular servicing at 15,000Km, as I simply don't buy the story that the same oil should be kept for so long.

My thoughts only, of course ..!

Last edited by kakao; 09-10-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kakao View Post
    Nope, didn't say that the car takes 15,000Km+ to run-in properly, maybe 3,000 - 5,000Km maximum ..

Went to VW service centre today and asked the guy at the front desk about the oil recommendation - He says Castrol Edge 5W/30 Professional is what they use, but he was unable to tell if 502 00 or 504 00 is suitable for my car ...!? (Can you believe this??)

Then I went to Repco, and the lady looked into her computer and said that 5W/30 LL (long Life, not A3/B4) 504 00 is the one ...?!?!? That is contrary to what is on the label in the engine bay.

All in all, I believe that the confusion about all this is intentional, to make people just go to a dealership and pay $400+ for oil change.
    If one carefully look at the Owner's Manual, there is no mention of viscosity either. Very fishy indeed, and not appropriate for such big company such as VW.

I can hardly believe that 502 00 or 504 00 would make any difference whatsoever, or have a negative impact on the car engine, but I bought 4 canisters of 502 00 Edge A3/B4 (as it was on special, $44/5L canister) and 4 original VW filters for the future .. this is in addition to the regular servicing at 15,000Km, as I simply don't buy the story that the same oil should be kept for so long.

My thoughts only, of course ..!

No, I'm saying they take 15k to run-in. My fuel economy and power got better and better until 15k. VW engines are generally pretty tight with their tolerances.

Castrol Edge 5w-30 Professional is 504.00/507.00.

The dealership uses 504 and Repco says 504 and 2 long term owners (BTW I'm a qualified motor mechanic and a mechanical engineer and my role from 2016-2018 was Reliability Engineer for large water supply assets and my current role is Maintenance Engineer) are saying use 504.00. What does that tell you?

502.00 is also OK but 504.00 is a better oil. You do realis that in the UK and Europe they use 504 on variable service which means up to 30,000km/2 years service intervals?
    I've done UOI on 504 and it comes up like new after 15k. These are modern engines and modern lubricants. It's not some 20w-50 mineral oil on a 5000km/3months service interval (no wonder some of my clients were like old friends).

The confusion isn't intentional. I still think the OP is incorrect but it's not my car and I don't really give a fig what he does to his car.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post

LOL
    There is no certification process on 502.00. Even if you wanted to pay, you can't.

One of the reasons VW started the "Approval" system for 504 was because every man and his dog was doing a 502.00 and the specifications varied a lot.

Users Country Flag
    No, I'm saying they take 15k to run-in. My fuel economy and power got better and better until 15k. VW engines are generally pretty tight with their tolerances.

Castrol Edge 5w-30 Professional is 504.00/507.00.

The dealership uses 504 and Repco says 504 and 2 long term owners (BTW I'm a qualified motor mechanic and a mechanical engineer and my role from 2016-2018 was Reliability Engineer for large water supply assets and my current role is Maintenance Engineer) are saying use 504.00. What does that tell you?

502.00 is also OK but 504.00 is a better oil. You do realis that in the UK and Europe they use 504 on variable service which means up to 30,000km/2 years service intervals?
    I've done UOI on 504 and it comes up like new after 15k. These are modern engines and modern lubricants. It's not some 20w-50 mineral oil on a 5000km/3months service interval (no wonder some of my clients were like old friends).

The confusion isn't intentional. I still think the OP is incorrect but it's not my car and I don't really give a fig what he does to his car.

Do you really believe that using 504 over 502 would make difference, and if so in which way, thanks ...!

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
    The owner's manual says to only use 504 00 / 507 00 oil in markets where the fuel meets EN 228 standards (10ppm sulphur), otherwise to use 502 00 oil instead. Australian 95 and 98 RON fuel can be up to 50ppm sulphur and does not meet EN 228 fuel standards, therefore 502 00 oil should be used (according to the owner's manual). This is why I never trust oil vendor's product guides (which in this case all seem to recommend 504 / 507 oils) or mechanics that just use oil vendor's product guides.

Am I missing something? Should I be going against VW's recommendation like nearly every oil vendor's product guide recommends?

BTW what car are you asking about in your OP, thanks.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast