Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kakao View Post
    Attachment 51101

I think I'll go with this one for my Golf TSI 110Kw 2020 ..

It is VW 502 00/505 00

Yet Castrol doesn't even mention this oil as even the 2nd choice and nor does Penrite. What does your owners manual say?

I use 502.00 in my old dunger occasionally because It's often on sale for $15 if you know where to look but my car is 10 years out of warranty but in a 2020 model still under warranty? Why would you risk it? VW502.00 is a 1990s spec. lol
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Yet Castrol doesn't even mention this oil as even the 2nd choice and nor does Penrite. What does your owners manual say?

I use 502.00 in my old dunger occasionally because It's often on sale for $15 if you know where to look but my car is 10 years out of warranty but in a 2020 model still under warranty? Why would you risk it? VW502.00 is a 1990s spec. lol
    Both specs currently co-exist to suit different fuel sulphur contents in different markets. Again, 502 is not a "minimum" or "lesser" spec. 502 is the current VW high SAPS spec. 504 is the current low SAPS spec. Low SAPS does not last as long before going acidic when used with high sulphur fuel. For this reason, low SAPS oil is for some countries and high SAPS oil is for other countries depending on their fuel standards.

Oil companies generally offer just two main types of oil. Low and high SAPS. They are not "older" and "newer" and certainly not "minimum" and "better". High SAPS is VW 502, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01 and generally the one product covers all of these for any given viscosity. Low SAPS is VW 504, MB229.51, BMW LL-04 and again generally one product covers all of these for any given viscosity. They are all current oil specs. Note BMW and Merc clearly say do not use their low SAPS oil in petrol engines in Australia. Volkswagen do as well but they are more vague about the wording of it.

The person asking not only has the factory fill engine bay sticker say to use 502 but also like all the others, the owner's manual too.
    Last edited by bradsm87; 08-10-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Users Country Flag
    You would think a person who supposedly knows so much wouldnt have to post 5 pages to know what oil to put in a vehicle when a read of the manual would tell you.

Ive owned 37 cars latterly 3 VW (happily running on 504/507 for last 10 years) in last 64 years and not had any trouble lubricating them
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 08-10-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    You would think a person who supposedly knows so much wouldnt have to post 5 pages to know what oil to put in a vehicle when a read of the manual would tell you.

Ive owned 37 cars latterly 3 VW (happily running on 504/507 for last 10 years) in last 64 years and not had any trouble lubricating them
    Stop trolling the thread if you don't have anything constructive to add. Your own manual tells you to run 502 and not 504 in this country. I've even told you which paragraphs state it and yet you still keep regurgitating "read the manual" implying that it supports your view when in fact, it does the very opposite, which is the very reason why I started this thread.

I have already responded to you saying the same thing before. I never said running one oil or the other will cause some sort of chaotic "problem" so your repeating of what you've used without "problems" is not relative to this thread. It is obvious that you have nothing constructive to say so please keep this thread for discussion relevant to the topic which is discussion surrounding the owners manual stating not to use 504/507 in countries without EN 228 compliant fuel. Thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
    The person asking not only has the factory fill engine bay sticker say to use 502 but also like all the others, the owner's manual too.
    Really? I'd love to see a photo of this sticker in the engine bay.

You get your car serviced at the dealer. They use 504.00/507.00
    You look up any mainstream lubrication database: 504/507 is their "Best Choice" oil.
    You do UOA at 15,000km on 504/507 and there are no red flags for raised acid levels (or any other form of oil degradation unless the engine is crapping itself due to poor VW parts).

I actually think you are misreading a very badly designed table.

BTW: You still haven't stated what VW Tech said when you contacted them.

Here's the thing. Even if the dealers are wrong in what they think you should pour into the engine, if the dealers think that 504/507 is the correct oil for a vehicle and there is a warranty issue, you then have to go through the process of re-educating them while fighting a warranty claim. Given how many engine failures VWs get through poor design and short R&D time frames do you really want to have to add that extra layer of heartache when you are trying to get piston (or engine) replaced or a new head because the timing chain tensioner pooped its pants?

Hillbilly and I have a long history of disagreeing with each other but in this case I'm in his camp.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Really? I'd love to see a photo of this sticker in the engine bay.

You get your car serviced at the dealer. They use 504.00/507.00
    You look up any mainstream lubrication database: 504/507 is their "Best Choice" oil.
    You do UOA at 15,000km on 504/507 and there are no red flags for raised acid levels (or any other form of oil degradation unless the engine is crapping itself due to poor VW parts).

I actually think you are misreading a very badly designed table.

BTW: You still haven't stated what VW Tech said when you contacted them.

Here's the thing. Even if the dealers are wrong in what they think you should pour into the engine, if the dealers think that 504/507 is the correct oil for a vehicle and there is a warranty issue, you then have to go through the process of re-educating them while fighting a warranty claim. Given how many engine failures VWs get through poor design and short R&D time frames do you really want to have to add that extra layer of heartache when you are trying to get piston (or engine) replaced or a new head because the timing chain tensioner pooped its pants?

Hillbilly and I have a long history of disagreeing with each other but in this case I'm in his camp.
    The person who asked about the Castrol has the same model as this guy:

Quote Originally Posted by VR28LT View Post
    my 2020 mk7.5 110tsi has a 502 / 505 sticker in the engine bay

I understand the table well and have read it and fully understand it. It is very clear to me. The numbers in brackets and footnotes are all there and quite clear.

I am still jumping through hoops with VW Australia and have not yet been able to get in touch with anybody other than level 1 phone support.

Again, I only started this thread out of interest and to point out that if VW Australia do in fact use 504/507 oil in vehicles where the owner's manual says not to use 504/507 in markets where EN 228 fuel is not available, then that's OK. I thought there would be some forum users who find this type of thing interesting. I'm just interested in VW Australia's reasoning behind this and also to identify the need for them to include this contradiction in the Australian model supplement manual. I'm surprised that it turned into a debate because it's all right there in the manual in writing.
    Last edited by bradsm87; 09-10-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Well the whole thread is a bit of a troll because obviously not many are interested in your theory. As I have said I have had my cars serviced by VW all their lives and both the diesel and the petrol ones have had the same oil in them.

Started on Castrol Professional III which is a 504/507 oil and changed to Penrite Enviro + which is also a 504/507 and was done with VW blessing
    So despite what you say and reckon the manual says I am reluctant to change from what VW service say is the correct oil to use.

You of course can use what you like but most of us prefer to use what VW tell us is the right one to use

They also say my Polo can run on a 502/505 oil but that there is nothing wrong with using the higher grade as its easier just to buy more of the one that chase around with two. Also is what VW would be putting in it at a service,

Good enough for the majority by the looks of it and have never seen anyone saying VW refused a repair because of using that oil if cars engine had problems.

Seems to be a thread looking for a problem when there isnt one.
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-10-2020 at 09:04 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

The sticker on my 2020 TSI Golf says 502 00, the Gastrol Edge is 502 00 and is ACEA A3/B4, my manual says 502 00 without particulate filter, and 504 00 with particulate filter.

The only question for me is really if my 1.4 TSI has the particulate filter or not??

Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?-vw-jpg

Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?-vw@-jpg

Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?-vw2-jpg

The only question for me is really if my 1.4 TSI has the particulate filter or not??
    It doesn't have a particulate filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well the whole thread is a bit of a troll because obviously not many are interested in your theory. As I have said I have had my cars serviced by VW all their lives and both the diesel and the petrol ones have had the same oil in them.

Started on Castrol Professional III which is a 504/507 oil and changed to Penrite Enviro + which is also a 504/507 and was done with VW blessing
    So despite what you say and reckon the manual says I am reluctant to change from what VW service say is the correct oil to use.

You of course can use what you like but most of us prefer to use what VW tell us is the right one to use

They also say my Polo can run on a 502/505 oil but that there is nothing wrong with using the higher grade as its easier just to buy more of the one that chase around with two. Also is what VW would be putting in it at a service,

Good enough for the majority by the looks of it and have never seen anyone saying VW refused a repair because of using that oil if cars engine had problems.

Seems to be a thread looking for a problem when there isnt one.
    This again is just a repeat of things that have already been addressed multiple times and I am not going to take the time to repeatedly address the same thing, the biggest one being that 504 is not a "higher" grade (502 is not a "minimum"). As I've stated several times they are two different standards for different purposes. I'm not even going to repeat again addressing the rest. Please do not clutter the thread with repetitions of things either already addressed or unrelated. It's clear you don't have an interest in the actual specific topic at hand so please go elsewhere. Again, thanks.

Users Country Flag

Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?-vw-jpg

Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?-vw2-jpg
    Thanks for the photos. Interesting.

Why are you actually buying your own oil?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast