Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?

Users Country Flag

Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?

The owner's manual says to only use 504 00 / 507 00 oil in markets where the fuel meets EN 228 standards (10ppm sulphur), otherwise to use 502 00 oil instead. Australian 95 and 98 RON fuel can be up to 50ppm sulphur and does not meet EN 228 fuel standards, therefore 502 00 oil should be used (according to the owner's manual). This is why I never trust oil vendor's product guides (which in this case all seem to recommend 504 / 507 oils) or mechanics that just use oil vendor's product guides.

Am I missing something? Should I be going against VW's recommendation like nearly every oil vendor's product guide recommends?

Users Country Flag
    Well my Tiguan has a sticker under the bonnet with 504/507 on it so thats what it will get. Im not a chemist so if thats what they want I will use it as if i use something else and have troubles i could be deep in smelly brown stuff
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well my Tiguan has a sticker under the bonnet with 504/507 on it so thats what it will get. Im not a chemist so if thats what they want I will use it as if i use something else and have troubles i could be deep in smelly brown stuff
    I've got a feeling VW Australia have differed to what the owner's manual says. I just wish they would publish it somewhere properly and issue a supplement to the owner's manual.

What engine is in yours?

Users Country Flag
    100% stick to 504/507. If you have any engine related issues under warranty, you probably won't be covered.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post
    I've got a feeling VW Australia have differed to what the owner's manual says. I just wish they would publish it somewhere properly and issue a supplement to the owner's manual.

What engine is in yours?
    Same as in my sig A 162 TSI

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    100% stick to 504/507. If you have any engine related issues under warranty, you probably won't be covered.

Yep a bit silly to theorize your way into problems. Just put in it what they say Mine have run on Penrite Enviro + for 10 year with no problems.. I supply it myself at services.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    That makes no sense because the owner's manual says only use 502 if your country's fuel does not meet EN 228 fuel standards which Australia's fuel does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Yep a bit silly to theorize your way into problems. Just put in it what they say Mine have run on Penrite Enviro + for 10 year with no problems.. I supply it myself at services.
    It's not theorising. It's right there in the owner's manual. The owner's manual says to use 502 and only lists 504 as an alternative IF the country's fuel standards meet EN 228. BMW, MB and others do the same thing. BMW specify LL-04 in Europe where they have low sulphur fuel but LL-01 here because of our ****ty fuel for example.
    Last edited by bradsm87; 22-09-2020 at 07:20 PM.

Attachment 50752

Here is a pic of the oil page in the owner's manual.Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?-oils-jpg

Users Country Flag

From what I understand, VW in Aus use flexible service (long life) which means that the ECU and algorithms determine when to inform you that service is due.
    So you use 508 or 504 for a petrol engine per that table. Alternatively you can use 504 for a petrol engine if in Australia.
    So use 504 for a petrol engine in Australia.
    Or don't. It's up to you.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast