Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why is 504 / 507 oil so readily available when it should not be used here?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by kakao View Post
    BTW what car are you asking about in your OP, thanks.
    Nothing specific. General thread out of interest. Mine is an MK7.5 GTI but it applies to other vehicles and engines too. Golf, Polo and Tiguan all have more or less the same thing written in the manuals. Very new models are prob a bit different now with the 0w-20 oils coming in around 2019-is so I'm referring to prior to that.

I've got a 2019 110TSI Golf which has the VW502 oil sticker in the engine bay too.

I've already got a decent stockpile of 504/507 oil which I pick up whenever on sale as I use it in my A5 3.0 TDI which requires low SAPS due to the DPF but Castol Edge 502 is quite a bit cheaper than Edge LL 507 when on sale (and it's on sale quite a bit more often too!).

@Brad - I also picked up Valvoline's 504/507 approved oil ( SynPower XL-III 5W-30 - Full Synthetic Engine Oil | Valvoline ) on special with the $20 cashback. It worked out being $30/5L for me when Autobarn had a 40% off sale.

Just wondering if there any benefits of a low SAPS oil in a petrol engine (environmental aspects side)?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post

Just wondering if there any benefits of a low SAPS oil in a petrol engine (environmental aspects side)?
    As far as I can tell, the low SAPs is a lot kinder on intake carbon on the valves.

As I said, this thread is like going back 13 years in time. There were a lot of discussions on the differences back then in MK5 days
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678