Thread: White Smoke from exhaust

Users Country Flag

White Smoke from exhaust

Hi all,

I'm possibly just a bit nervous given the car as only done 1800km, but this morning I was doing a little bit of spirited driving with a colleague in close behind me. When we got to work he said that after we pulled away from a set of lights he noticed some white smoke come from my exhausts. Everything possibly related:

• I had just filled the tank about 20 minutes prior with 98.
    • I had been driving for about 25 minutes at that stage, pretty much all highway.
    • Just prior to the smoke we had been stopped at some lights. My S/S system was activated so the engine was off for about 1 minute before starting again (really need to install my S/S kill device! Life gets in the way sometimes ).
    • I was under heavy acceleration but only for about 2 seconds.
    • The smoke was not thick, but still noticeable.
    • It was emitted for about 1 second.
    • My colleague did not notice it again for the rest of the drive to work (about another 5 minutes of spirited driving).
    • My colleague cannot recall if the smoke came during acceleration or after I lifted off.
    • Checked my oil levels when I got to work and it all looks OK.
    • I had VW perform that free 1000km check maybe 2 weeks ago and it was all fine apparently. Who knows if they actually do anything though.
    • I was gentle but still enthusiastic with the first 1500km of driving, so I think the engine was worn in appropriately.

Am I being paranoid or should I be worried?
    2016 GTI Performance | Pure White | JB1 | Dog Bone | Full Tint | Stop/Start Delete | Avatar by sandwg

Might not be a problem, but watch your coolant level for a while.

Users Country Flag
    I don't see it as abnormal. Just drive it. My driven hard Polo blows a bit once in a while, if I have been commuting in it a couple of days. You get a build up of condensation or other crap, in the exhaust sometimes and a good boot clears it out.

Don't over think it.

Interested in why are you using 98 and not 95? I started using 98 and have recently swapped to 95 and have found I'm getting better economy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Because it makes sense to use higher octane fuel. These aren't made in Korea.

You have another thread going and mention getting yours tuned by APR, see if they get better performance on 95 or 98. It's a physics/chemistry thing.

Gavin

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    OK, I'll keep an eye on the coolant regardless. I shouldn't be too worried especially as it happened once (that's been seen) and was fine after that. It was the first real boot of the day after sitting un-used for 2 days, so maybe it did just clear a little sediment out? It's hard not to worry, but I'll try lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyboy69 View Post
    Interested in why are you using 98 and not 95? I started using 98 and have recently swapped to 95 and have found I'm getting better economy
    Recommended minimum is 95, and I read things about 98 being ideal. I must admit I'm not getting the greatest economy but I'd rather use what's better for the engine than what's better for my pocket (for now lol).
    2016 GTI Performance | Pure White | JB1 | Dog Bone | Full Tint | Stop/Start Delete | Avatar by sandwg

Users Country Flag
    Dear Paranoid

White smoke is water vapour. You've had some water condense in the exhaust when stopped for a minute and as soon as the car has started up it's cleared. Little bit strange that it's happened with a warm exhaust system but you might have a pocket where it collects.

As it only lasted for a second it could have been as little as a few drops of water that was burnt off (converted to steam).

Stop worrying and continue to enjoy your car.

Regards

Opra

Users Country Flag

I'd not be too concerned at just 1,800 km. There are a lot of things that have a protective coat of various oils on them that could burn off and cause a puff of smoke. It's a bit like some people who have a new exhaust system fitter and come rushing back in because there is a strange smell coming from the engine!

And, it might be water vapour, although it does have a characteristic pattern as to how it dissipates.

Best to try it again under similar circumstances and see if it can be repeated
    --