Thread: where is my coolant leak occurring?

Users Country Flag

where is my coolant leak occurring?

Hi vee dubbers,
    i’ve just broken down by the side of the Hume Highway outside Wangaratta with the coolant light alarm sounding and popped the hood. I i immediately smelt burnt coolant eminating from the engine bay and smoke or steam rising from the back of the engine. I noticed when I look down at the back there is quite a lot of sprayed coolant the red type on various parts so I’m guessing it’s one of the hoses or housings that has split and failed. Can somebody offer any suggestions as to which component hose or otherwise is back there that is likely to be over a hot manifold says likely to generate a lot of steam. Thanks

Last edited by Nudist; 20-03-2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Add photo

Users Country Flag
    Wait for it to cool down and see which one has a hole in it or it could be the water pump ( arent they at rear end of Golf engines)

Could also be a heater hose if between motor and firewall
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Wait for it to cool down and see which one has a hole in it or it could be the water pump ( arent they at rear end of Golf engines)

Could also be a heater hose if between motor and firewall

Yes it’s the plastic bit that connects to the top heater hose near firewall. Mechanics just trying to sort part

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
    Yes it’s the plastic bit that connects to the top heater hose near firewall. Mechanics just trying to sort part
    Ahh gold old plastic parts on modern cars - fine for some parts but not for critical parts like cooling system.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Ahh gold old plastic parts on modern cars - fine for some parts but not for critical parts like cooling system.
    He has sourced the part $80. The mechanic said there are a few plastic parts in the cooling system which I asked can you buy any third-party alternatives which metal to which he says Not that he’d heard of

Quote Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
    He has sourced the part $80. The mechanic said there are a few plastic parts in the cooling system which I asked can you buy any third-party alternatives which metal to which he says Not that he’d heard of
    Covered under warranty still?

Quote Originally Posted by donweather View Post
    Covered under warranty still?
    No it’s seven years old and 200,000 k’s on the clock. But it has prompted me to go back through the car documentation to see if it is a serviceable part if it’s not then I’ll be looking to replace similar parts in the coolant system because I do want to avoid this happening in the future especially when I’m on holiday and I end up having to leave it for three days with the repair a while I continue by train to my destination

I am closing this thread because I have located the problem which was opened another line of enquiry about the suitability of plastic part on the golf coolant system.

Plastic housings and connector in a Golf 110 diesel